Press Dell to release kernel source - call for action, if you want Froyo, Linux, etc. on StreakGeneral

Last Updated:

1. tomq

tomq Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

post from modaco

[​IMG]

I've just spent few hours trying to build android-msm-2.6.32 Linux kernel for Dell Streak.
    It turns out that it is impossible, without device specific board files.
    These files are in the Linux kernel source tree Dell used to build kernel for Streak and Dell is obliged under the terms of GPL, to give this source to any owner of Streak requesting it.
    So,

- If you want Froyo on your Streak, build by modders,
    - If you want CyanogenMod on your Streak
    - If you want Ubuntu, Debian, MeeGo, Maemo on your Streak

Write, mail, call, tweet Dell demanding the source you have the (GPL) right to have.
    Post a blog entry. Notify your favorite news service that Dell is violating GPL. Post a Facebook/Twitter/etc. status. Make some buzz.

If we create enough pressure for Dell, they will finally stop violating GPL and give us the kernel source.

Dell technical support details are here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topic...&~ck=anavml
    Call them and demand the Streak kernel source, you have the right to have. If they shunt you away, ask them for your case number - this will force them to enter your case to the support tracking system.

Start a new topic on http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...ces/f/3824.aspx demanding the kernel source.

[​IMG]
    You may request the source at Dell Support for Facebook Fans too: Dell Feedback on Facebook
    Press "Like it!" at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dell-Streak-...133689050009762 Facebook page.

[​IMG]
    You can message @Direct2Dell @LionelatDell @MattatDell @DellCares @MichelleBatDell on Twitter asking where you can get the Streak kernel source.

Dell Press Office email: dell_press_office@dell.com
    Phone number to the head office in Bracknall: 01344 860456
    If you know any other channer to reach Dell, please post it here and I will update the list.
    Sign the online petition
    [​IMG]

original post from Press Dell to release kernel source - call for action - Android @ MoDaCo

Advertisement
  2. aalupatti

aalupatti Member

3. rocklobsta

rocklobsta Member

I signed the petition, but I am not compretely sure that dell is violating GPL, as it does not specify any timeframe for when the source code has to be released. I understand that other manufacturers are doing this as well, so it doesn't appear to be blatantly illegal.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I've added this to the sticky at the top of this forum. Whether it's within the legal parameters or not, it should be open source so developers can improve the things that dell / google won't.