Pressing the soft keys on the Nexus One is wonky.

Last Updated:

1. jpw

jpw Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else with a Nexus One notice that in order to press any of the 4 soft keys at the bottom of the screen you actually have to press a little above where the soft key is at? It's a bit frustrating.

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I thought I noticed that on some of the hands on videos. I'll have to wait to find out for sure...

3. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

If this is true, and cannot be corrected with software, it is truly sad. It is as if an obvious "feature" was purposely ignored.

Its whar can make a seeingly number 1 product,, number 2. Or 3.

4. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

Oops. DP.

5. ChrisFix

ChrisFix Member

Yes, that is exactly how mine works as well...I've been finding that the touch screen seems a little un-responsive in general almost like it needs to be re-calibrated like a resistive screen, as the target always seems just a little off. It is definitely noticeable with the four soft keys as you mention. I tested this quite carefully last night, and if you press squarely in the middle of any of the four soft key icons, they are un-responsive...you actually have to press just above the icon in order to make them work. Seems very strange that they designed it this way, but I remember reading a review that mentioned the same thing, so I don't think it is unique to the units we received.

In the few hours of playing with the phone I've gotten mostly used to just pressing above the icons to activate them, which works reliably, but any new user will find this a problem initially.

6. omatix

omatix Active Member

Hey! I didn't think they worked properly either. You're right, though, you just have to press a little higher than you'd think.

No issues with the rest of the touchscreen being unresponsive here, though.

7. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

^^Same here.

I have to press on the tops of them. No issues with the touchscreen. Matter of fact this is the most responsive touchscreen i've had. That might not say much because i've only had 3 touch phones but for me this is the best.

8. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Probably a reason why reviewers were accidentally pressing the soft keys while texting and why it took them two or three tries to actuate the buttons.

9. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

Mine works fine, I touch them right where you would think to touch and they respond well

10. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

*edit*....Had a post where I thought i'd figured out something but just proved myself wrong so i'm deleting what I previously thought.

11. finisterre

finisterre Member

I wonder if they'll be able to fix this with a software update?

12. goapps51

goapps51 New Member

FYI, mine works fine too. Hope you guys send yours back and get them replaced!

13. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

Mine works. Just sometimes I have to press on the upper part of the icon.

14. Napoleon_PhoneApart

Napoleon_PhoneApart Well-Known Member

So this is where you've been hiding! :D

15. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

Some people had these problems with the Eris. I don't know if it works with the N1, but I just take my finger and fully cover the button with my finger, and it always responds. So its not as much of a "push" on the button, as it is a full finger placement over the entire key.

16. jameskk

jameskk Active Member

the touchscreen is my biggest complaint with the N1 so far. For some reason my thumbs will not work with it. My thumbs have no problem with my iPhone or Droid but the N1 screen simply will not respond to my thumbs... weird. I have to use the tip of my fingers for some reason. Also, the button at bottom of screen require too much time to press.. it's very annoying. I have been using a Droid for the last few weeks and its touchscreen and buttons have zero problems working. I hope that Google or HTC will fix this soon with an update because otherwise I love this phone.

17. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

You obviously need new thumbs. I would call your digit provider and request new ones. :D

18. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same with my new N1. I have to hit the buttons a bit near the top if I'm trying to hit them dead on. However, I usually hit them with my left thumb and they work perfectly most of the time.

19. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

Not experiencing this thus far.

I will say if it is an issue im wagering its to make it easier to tap with thumb while using one handed.
    I do notice Theres is a miniscule delay in those buttons. Again intentional IMO to avoid accidental button presses.

20. MisterSlanky

MisterSlanky Member

I've been using the phone now for about an hour and haven't had this problem yet (knock on wood).

I wonder if it's hardware related or software related.