Pressure crack on back camera lens

Last Updated:

1. taiguy

taiguy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thought I had a horizontal scratch running across the back camera glass element. After investigating with my finger nail and then looking at it from an angle I've determined it's not a scratch but a pressure crack. My fingernail can't get caught anywhere on the surface, but when you view it from an angle it looks extremely deep (basically the thickness of the glass).

bummer.

Advertisement
  2. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

Wow, what did you do to it? Or do you not remember?

Is it affecting picture quality? Sucks man.

3. taiguy

No clue. Never been dropped and I make a point to put it down on smooth surfaces. Maybe my pocket is just hazardous?

Another poster hinted that the back lens was meant to be removable and replaceable. Not seeing how at the moment but that would be great if it was the case.

4. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Take it to Sprint and get their input?

5. taiguy

got a reply back from HTC regarding how easy it would be to replace. basically says they have no parts for it yet (makes sense... released last friday).

Dear Mr Tai, Thank you for contacting HTC! We apologize for any problems you are experiencing with your device. Unfortunately it currently appears we do not have the parts to speedily repair your device at our North American Repair Center but we would love to resolve any of your issues. Please contact our Customer Care Department and allow us to gather your phone specific information. We would then begin sourcing for parts and try to offer repair services as soon as possible. Sincerely, HTC Customer Care 1-888-617-1113 M-F, 8am - 8pm

6. taiguy

[​IMG]

as you can see the crack goes clear from one side to the other. the surface is completely smooth.

7. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Well, looks like some serious force got applied to it somehow. The good news is, based on where it is, I doubt it will affect the picture quality much. Hopefully, HTC will have spares soon though.

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I would say to the sprint store, tomorrow for sure for you. You can show them that there are no marks on the phone, no damage elsewhere, and they *should* either replace it, or get it fixed somehow.

9. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

yikes does it affect your pictures? defiantly looks likes it's in the view range of the lense? looks like it'd be a lil blurry

10. Chiiaki

Chiiaki New Member

Yikes! I had the EXACT same problem. I bought mine on June 9th and that very day I had noticed the same exact crack (although mine was slightly curved). You can see it from an angle, and run your nail over it but it would not catch. Now 12 days later it is a much larger full blown crack that has split into a different direction. I absolutely baby this phone and that is the only defect it has, not a single scratch anywhere else.

The Sprint store is backing out of their end of the 30 day trade in because of this.

Note: I called every store in the area, no one had another Evo the day I bought this. Seeing that the crack was so minor, I had no reason to return it. Now it is looking like I am stuck with a wonderful camera and a broken lens.

Let me know what happens with your crack on your lens.

11. audimv

audimv New Member

I spoke with HTC RMA and they said it could be free to replace if it was not abused, if it was repair can be anywhere from $75-150 or if you decide to decline it there is a $40 charge for assessment, Sprint's "replacement" plan is $100 for a new phone or $120 to fix it in house, I have been weighing out my options but luckily my crack hasn't affected picture quality yet.....I hope HTC realizes this is a trending issue with the device and will authorize Sprint to do a repair in house or send replacement lens so I don't have to send my phone out for 2 weeks with the possibility of it being fixed for free.....does anybody know of any other routes?!?! Repair shop, spare lens, ghetto rigs? Thanks

12. Dukester619

Dukester619 Member

I just discovered that my camera is spiderweb cracked as well. This really sucks, I even have it inside of an Seidio Active Limited case. I have never dropped it and I always carry it in an empty pocket. All I can figure is I must have leaned against something while it was in my pocket and it hit right on the opening in the case for the camera.

At least I have the Sprint insurance but I am not looking forward to paying another $100. I haven't been reading any of the replacement threads but I guess I will have to now. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to replace it? Should I do it online or go to the local Sprint store here? I really don't want to wait for them to send it in and wait for the replacement. Sprints website says they will send out packaging for me to send it in but it makes no mention of shipping my replacement at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. aimzmarie

aimzmarie Active Member

With the sprint insurance, I feel like you should be able to walk into a sprint repair store and they fix the screen. isn't that what insurance is for? i don't think paying $100 for them to replace the device is at all necessary.

14. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

I would attempt to fix it myself. That way you might succeed and save $100. The worst that could happen is you do damage and have to get it replaced through insurance like you were originally planning.

15. hyabusha

hyabusha Active Member

My lens cracked also. I paid $100 for the Insurance replacement phone. ;(

16. aimzmarie

aimzmarie Active Member

wait no. this is potentially a big problem. people should not be paying $100 and getting a new or refurb phone. the problem is not the actual phone! this should be fixable at sprint repair centers.

those with the cracked screens, have you tried a repair center? is the $100 deductible really the only option? this is insane.

17. Dukester619

Dukester619 Member

I called Sprint and the rep told me to take it in rather then file an insurance claim. He mentioned that these phones have had the screen separation issue (even though that is oviously not my problem) and that I might be able to get it repaired for free. I will give it a try tomorrow and report back.

18. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Well-Known Member

after all the threads i have seen of people having this problem with their phones it makes me wonder how many people just give in and pay the $100. this is obviously a design flaw with the lens. apparently if you take the battery cover off you can just peel the red ring from around the lens off and then just peel the lens off. i guess it's just double sided tape that hold both on.

if this ever happens to my phone (and i'm sure it will) i will be removing the lens myself and going to a glass shop and having it replaced with glass. i will ask for a thinner/stronger glass so that the red ring will do more protecting than it is now. then maybe i can go without a case. i would think that as long as the original lens isn't shattered that a glass shop could make one for you that is way better than the original for way less than $100.

19. audimv

audimv New Member

Im pretty much waiting for HTC to do a recall on the lens or offer a better alternative to sending my device in for 2 weeks to get it fixed for free....they said if enough people call in to them and tell them this is a "trending issue" they will take action to remedy the situation, the crack doesn't affect my picture quality yet but once it does hopefully HTC will have offered something for those who experience this or I will either have to go with the $100 Sprint insurance replacement or Glass shop like this dude ^^

20. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member

21. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member