Pretty sure im hopping from the Eris, a few ?'s

Last Updated:

1. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So i think im going to be hopping to the incredible within the next few weeks and i got a couple of questions.

is root a hit and miss thing or is everyone able to get it? i cant have a non-rooted phone, and i refuse to develop roms on a phone i cant use either :p

is it really that fast? stock eris processor is 540 or so Mhz, mines overclocked to 786 and i still see some lag. is lag really a thing of the past?

how is the dev community? who are your main rom cookers and what have they released so far? i have 2 cyanogenmod roms and a stock rom that ive built for the eris, and those three only make up a small fraction of all the roms out there.

which phones are most similar to the incredible? screen resolution etc? the hero and the eris were very similar and porting roms from the hero to the eris was INCREDIBLE-ly simple ( haha i had to :p ). are there any phones similar enough to the incredible so as to make porting that simple?

how the camera? the eris has a 5MP camera, but that doesnt do a whole lot to be honest. its VERY hard to get a clear picture taken on that phone.

last but not least, how is battery life? stock battery life was HORRIBLE, ~12 hours and i needed a recharge. battery life got much better after switching to white widow, but itd be nice to have a phone that was good enough stock that i would HAVE to mess with it unless i wanted to.

haha i lied...one more thing. i think ive heard mention 8GB internal memory. ive got to be mistaken though right? 8GB internal memory would be dooope.

thanks guys, hopefully you will be seeing me around a lot more in the coming weeks ;)

Advertisement
  2. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

it can be tricky to root, but its not that hard if you have patience and know what your doing. yes i think its very fast, i see no lag at all but i don't have my phone loaded down with useless apps either. the desire is probably the most similar to the inc. it seems porting is not simple with this phone but good things are starting to fill the pipeline i believe(cm6). the camera is good but its still an 8mp on a phone, if you have good lighting and keep the phone still while taking a shot it produces very good pictures. battery life is not great, at all, however there are options. i recently bought the 1500mah tp2 battery for $15 on ebay and it seems to get me through the day easily with plently leftover when i plug it in at night. yes it does have 8gb internal, and i believe about almost 7 is available to you.

3. whewstoosae

whewstoosae Well-Known Member

Wow it's awesome seeing that you may be headed this way. I've really enjoyed your creations for the Eris and hope to see you as involved with the Incredible.

Root: For some people it is hit and miss and for others it's quite easy. For me the process took one or two tries before I got root. You just have to follow the instructions to a t and pray it works. :)

Processor: I too came from the Eris and, oh my lord, there is a significant difference using this new processor compared to the Eris. It's not only faster but it has better hardware; you'll definitely never want to touch the Eris again.

Dev Community: Honestly I feel like we already have a great community putting out all their hardwork. Unrevoked put out the great recovery for us and I believe we have about 6 or 7 ROMs out now but that seems to change daily. I love the community we have here and appreciate all the work they do. You'd be a great addition!

Similar Phones: The main phones that are the closest to the Incredible would probably be the N1 and especially the Desire. I'm sure plenty of things can be derived from the Sprint Cousin Evo but that's about it for phones.

Camera: I really love the camera on this phone. It definitely needs a little tweaking because it tends to washout pictures with the included flash on the phone but overall it's a great camera.

Battery: Honestly, HTC could have put a bigger battery in this phone. I believe our stock battery has the same amount of juice as the Eris battery. But win my experience, it still lasts me a full day with normal use.

Internal Memory: Yep, it surely does. That's not for apps though, we have a little over 700MB(?) for apps which is plenty for me.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk.

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for that input guys. im for sure going to be doing some surfing on ebay next couple weeks :p

this root things though, i didnt look at it too closely, can it be done on linux?on of the eris methods required a .bat file which can only be run on windows :eek: