Pretty technical Launcher Pro question

Last Updated:

1. JCUMV

JCUMV Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm running xtr 4.0.6.1 with LP Pro. Really like the setup and especially the dock at the bottom from LP. I have Phone, Mail, App Drawer, SMS, and GMail on my dock. I spend 80% of my time there in the Mail app as my Eris is primarily a work device for me, and my company uses Exchange. My issue is this, under Menu > Preferences, there are settings to turn on notications for Unread Gmail, Unread SMS, and Missed Calls. These notifications are down on the dock, not in the top notif bar. It's nice to have those three, but what I really need is the notification for Unread Mail (like the Sense icon has).

I've been bouncing around the Launcher Pro website and came across somebody asking for exactly the same thing. In post #5 a user talks about using SDK to code it in manually via adb, and he's even provided the code. Here's the link, have a look: LauncherPro Forum • View topic - Unread count not updating home page

I've done a Nand backup of my current config. Would I be an idiot to try this? Can mere mortals like me do something like this? I'm curious to hear what the good and bad to this would be.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

Well, since you already have a Nandroid back up...what's the worse that could happen? Looks like you could just copy and paste everything, so you wouldn't have to worry about typing errors. As I am lazy and like to do things the easy way, I found this: Gmail Notifier - Android app on AppBrain . Maybe that can do the trick for you?

3. JCUMV

^ That appears to be be putting a notification in the status bar at the top of the screen. Mail already does that. I'm looking for the little green dot that shows up on the icon. Or in LP's case, the little red number that shows up on the dock at the bottom.

So can somebody walk me thru exactly the steps to try this. I'm guessing I:
    1. download SDK. I'm assuming it's in the market, yes?
    2. Launch sdk to to get to a adb screen (command prompt), yes?
    3. Paste the code from the above thread, and hit some kind of Save button, yes?
    4. Reboot the phone and all should be good?

Thanks.

4. es0tericcha0s

Ohhh sorry, misunderstood your need. I take it that you rooted through another method like the 1 Click Root? I rooted old school and already have SDK set up. You'll need to get it from here: Android SDK | Android Developers . For a little more direction in installing refer to this: Installing the SDK | Android Developers - Step 2. You won't really have to worry about the other steps so much since you aren't planning on developing (at the moment at least). Once that is done and you want to run commands, then you will need to open your command box and change directories to your SDK folder before you start issuing commands. Your phone will need to be plugged in via USB but NOT mounted as a disk drive. I don't know how proficient you are with computers, so don't want to spell everything out for no reason. However, although I am not an expert, I've done this a couple of times, so if you need more detail, hit me up on your Talk app using my screen name @ gmail and I will provide as much assistance as I am able. Hope this helps.

5. JCUMV

Thanks for the info. Yes, I rooted using the 1-click method, so I do not have sdk loaded. I understand the change directory method on a PC via command prompt, but never done it before on a smart phone! Sounds like since I have a nand backup, I can always re-flash that, so that makes me feel better.

I appreciate the offer to help. I'll ping you if I get stuck. Thanks.

6. es0tericcha0s

Just to clarify, when I said change directories, I was talking about on your computer. You'll need to navigate to where you have your SDK folder on there. I'm pretty sure you can do it in a Terminal Emulator on the phone too, but I haven't messed with it enough to be of much help in that regard. Hope all goes well.

7. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

you could always ask Fede (dev of Launcher Pro) if its possible to get a Mail notification added as well. Go to LauncherPro.com and go to the forums. There's a bunch of request threads there.

8. es0tericcha0s

According to what little bit I read from the link posted in the OP, I think he said it wasn't possible. Not that he doesn't have the talent (obviously), but something to do with Google code probably.

9. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

Ya, I guess that makes sense... I'm sure he would have been smart enough to add that feature along with the other notifications if he were able to.