• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Prevail LTE root

Did this method work for you?

• Total voters
Recently had a buddy get the Boost Prevail LTE and he let me tinker with it and I found no successful rooting guides/programs so I gave it a try and was able to get su working.

Warning, this was accomplished after many failed attempts at other methods (adb/oneclickroot/update.zip) so this is provided with no guarantee of success and please read everything before attempting anything.

Using Odin3 v3.07 and the CF-Auto-Root method with the Samsung SM-G530BT tar under PDA flash, su was successful.

Initially it triggered a yellow warning to show on the boot screen saying "warranty bit:recovery" and changed the odin display to show a custom rom in the status section. However after a second flash, the device booted and I used root checker to confirm that superuser access was available.

The preloaded wifi tether still did not work, and neither did several other wifi tethers I d/l from the Play store. I also used es file explorer and it did let me successfully modify files on the external sd card. The LTE signal still came through and no other differences could be detected. The yellow warranty bit message also disappeared after rebooting.

So good luck out there, and I hope someone else is able to make some progress with my mad scribblings.

PS: In the process of doing this I killed the original recovery bootloader, so a clean dump so I could reflash with Odin would be awesome, if this works for you.

Reactions: dwitm01
Bought my prevail LTE about a month ago and I've been periodically checking back to see if anybody has rooted successfully without problems. I've only ever rooted one phone several years ago and these things are not at all fresh in my mind and I don't want a brick. Can someone please provide a little more detail both about the root procedure and the stock backup?

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, so anyone who is feel free to correct me, please ! Im trying to be helpful, and don't want to put any bad information here...

*you will need a computer for this method.

*chainfire's auto root method worked on my first attempt at it, with one small setback, the stock recovery program gets cooked. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE AFTER YOU ROOT THIS PHONE. if you are brave(or just foolish) like me, this wont matter, because the stock recovery sucks imho, and this method has successfully installed superuser on at least 2 BOOST MOBILE prevail lte's with no other issues. Mine has worked perfectly fine for almost a month now. This being said, proceed at your own risk and don't try this if you plan on performing a factory reset any time soon.

1. On your pc, download odin v 3.07

2. On your pc, download current drivers for the phone from samsung's website.

3. On your pc, download cf's auto-root for the Samsung SM-G530BT from http://download.chainfire.eu/663/CF...Root-fortuna3gdtv-fortuna3gdtvvj-smg530bt.zip

4. run odin on your pc.

5. Select the tar file you downloaded in step 3 from the dropdown list.

6. On your phone, Turn on usb debugging in developer options menu. (To access deV options go to about phone in settings menu and click the build number 5 times )

7. Plug your phone into your pc and allow usb debug authorization when it pops up.

8. Boot your phone in odin mode. (Home+Vol down+power button) make sure its still plugged in

9. On your pc, select pda flash option in odin, make sure you have the correct md5 file, then sit back and let the software do its thing. BE PATIENT and let the phone reboot, my phone rebooted 3 times. Do not be alarmed by the yellow letters on the screen. They will go away after final reboot, and supersu will be installed.

that's it...took me 5 minutes and I have only a little experience with this sort of thing..hope this helps

Upvote 0
I tried it on my prevail LTE and is currently running rooted right now. When you first do it I recommend you do it after a fresh wipe and then wipe again immediately thereafter because it will give you a system UID error if not. So use Titanium Backup to restore apps and settings after you wipe ( judiciously). I've talked to shabbypenguin over on XDA to see if he would develop a recovery for it. He's busy so I guess I mean I'm waiting right now for him to get to it.<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk<br/>

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, so anyone who is feel free to correct me, please ! Im trying to be helpful, and don't want to put any bad information here...

*you will need a computer for this method.

*chainfire's auto root method worked on my first attempt at it, with one small setback, the stock recovery program gets cooked. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE AFTER YOU ROOT THIS PHONE. if you are brave(or just foolish) like me, this wont matter, because the stock recovery sucks imho, and this method has successfully installed superuser on at least 2 BOOST MOBILE prevail lte's with no other issues. Mine has worked perfectly fine for almost a month now. This being said, proceed at your own risk and don't try this if you plan on performing a factory reset any time soon.

1. On your pc, download odin v 3.07

2. On your pc, download current drivers for the phone from samsung's website.

3. On your pc, download cf's auto-root for the Samsung SM-G530BT from http://download.chainfire.eu/663/CF...Root-fortuna3gdtv-fortuna3gdtvvj-smg530bt.zip

4. run odin on your pc.

5. Select the tar file you downloaded in step 3 from the dropdown list.

6. On your phone, Turn on usb debugging in developer options menu. (To access deV options go to about phone in settings menu and click the build number 5 times )

7. Plug your phone into your pc and allow usb debug authorization when it pops up.

8. Boot your phone in odin mode. (Home+Vol down+power button) make sure its still plugged in

9. On your pc, select pda flash option in odin, make sure you have the correct md5 file, then sit back and let the software do its thing. BE PATIENT and let the phone reboot, my phone rebooted 3 times. Do not be alarmed by the yellow letters on the screen. They will go away after final reboot, and supersu will be installed.

that's it...took me 5 minutes and I have only a little experience with this sort of thing..hope this helps

I just bought the Prevail LTE and I followed your instructions to the letter and my root still does not work. My phone starts and has yellow writhing to the top then it goes fuzzy. Then, If i press the power on button it restarts with no writing to the top and then goes to android. But, the phone still says no root.

See next post plz

Upvote 0
kingroot is different. was trying to replace it with supersu even tho phone was working with viper and xposed i still had to mess with it. now su is in bin but permissions denied. and cant get kinguser to install on phone now. this is 3rd phone but boost says bring it back in 7 days with no physical damange and i can get another one. if not im trying cf auto root tomarrow.

Reactions: jdaudy
Upvote 0
kingroot is different. was trying to replace it with supersu even tho phone was working with viper and xposed i still had to mess with it. now su is in bin but permissions denied. and cant get kinguser to install on phone now. this is 3rd phone but boost says bring it back in 7 days with no physical damange and i can get another one. if not im trying cf auto root tomarrow.
I solved my own problem.

1 I found a link to download the original Odin (odin file) lte(360) factory reset
(will insert link later)

2. King root 4.0 had an unistall bug. version 4.05 and 4.1 solves this issue.

3. I flashed the image to my phone and all was well (but it made my android os 4.4.4.)

4. But the 530 root never worked on my phone.

5. Wifi teather via rooted apps does not work even though its running KU 4.1 I belive the problem is the new android os compatibility.

Upvote 0
The link for the stock recovery doesn't work. I'm not all that worried about lollypop as I have a feeling between Samsung and/or boost they will mess up some critical feature like GPS and never come back with a fix.

If I'm reading it correctly there is a thrown together root method taken from a different phone that allows for root but even after root there isn't any way to get wifi tether enabled, right? That is what I really care about and would love more than anything to get back. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones