1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Prevail vs. XPRT

1. birdhouse1575

birdhouse1575 Member

Hello all,

I got my hands on a refurbished, like-new Samsung Galaxy Prevail for $45. Due to a shipping error and much confusion, I thought it would be returned, so I also ordered a Motorola XPRT (new) for $85. Both are beautiful devices though and I am having a tough time choosing between which to keep and which to sell.

Which of the two would you choose? I'd like to read some opinions :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. mikecintel

mikecintel Well-Known Member

Hi Birdhouse,

I would choose the Motorola XPRT because they make good quality phones because I had the Motorola V950 (Since I was with Sprint then from 2006-2011) (Samsung A640,Motorola V950) and today it still works! believe it or not since 2008 when I bought my phone from Sprint. I had to switch to Boost because the keypad for my V950 is sticking and it was out of warranty and I called Moto to see how much is the replacement for it and they wanted $80. I said thank you and no way and I went Boost. Also Moto Xpert has a SIM card which is a plus. Now I am having a lot of problems with my Samsung Prevail and I will get a refub from Samsung next week 6-19-12). Since I have sent my phone the prevail to Samsung many times I use my old Moto V950 now as a BACKUP PHONE. Boost won't let me activate but they are nice and they said to me OK since you have lot's of trouble with Samsung we will reactive the V950 for you. Hopefully I have no problems otherwise I have to call Samsung again because my warranty ends on Nov 30 of this year. I would pick the XPRT not because of the price but the quality and too me Motorola makes phones that has built good quality. You can read my problems with Samsung here http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ung-prevail-headache-repair-problems-ugh.html
    I am looking for a NEW smartphone too because I have so many problem with Samsung. I am waiting for Motorola to have the Photon coming to Boost because it was a Sprint phone and the reviews I read for that is GREAT. A lot of people like the Motorola Photon. So I will wait for it. If after Nov 30 the Samsung Prevail phone (refurb) has problem I will throw the phone in the garbage and wait until there is a great phone to use and I will use back my Moto V950 if Boost will let me use that phone again if that occurs.
  3. kevincott

kevincott Well-Known Member Contributor

While I cannot comment on the XPRT, I can definately say do not discount the value in the Prevail's support community.

Many great developers on Android Forums make the Prevail a MUCH better value than out-of-the-box.
  4. kolosus

kolosus Well-Known Member

The one thing that the XPRT has that the Prevail cannot beat with the dev community trump card is dual gsm and cdma antennas. The xprt comes with a sim card slot and is a "world phone" you can take it to any country overseas, slim in a local sim and use the same phone that you used state side!

I'll punch anyone in the face who says anything bad about my Prevail but I bought a xprt and even though its not going to be my daily phone it'll be my wifi device and when I'm going overseas it'll travel with me.
  5. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

You got the prevail at a good price. Keep both if you can, so you have a backup
  6. WonderDude

WonderDude Active Member

Well, I currently have a Prevail and am considering switching to the XPRT. The Prevail would be SOOO much better if it had more internal storage. There are so many useful apps that I just can't install for room issues. The XPRT has like six or seven times the storage from the specs I've read anyway. And I think it supports flash. Also, I bet I could get a bar code reader to work on the XPRT.

One thing I'm not sure about is the software. I believe the Sprint version would let you edit Office documents. Not sure if the Boost version has all that. But that would be a really cool bonus if it did.

As a matter of fact, if I don't surry up and end this post, I might end up convincing myself in to ordering one today. :(
  7. kevincott

kevincott Well-Known Member Contributor

There are several options available in the Prevail ROOT section to add more internal memory via your SDHC card.

Take advantage before spending more money.

Also Red Laser works perfectly woth Prevail's non fousing camera to scan BOTH types of barcodes. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?by2745wg2qy5w50
  8. WonderDude

WonderDude Active Member

Well thank you kevincott! I will look into both of these. :)
  9. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome VIP Member

I actually bought the Evo Design and intend to give it to my fiancee and buy the Xprt.

I appreciate the BB like keyboard, the business software, and the fact that it has such decent specs.

Not to mention it can be used with an international SIM.

I'll be getting this phone soon...

As for the Prevail, I've seen far too many customers have problems with them. So no offense to the Prevail community but I'd recommend the Xprt in a heart beat.
  10. WonderDude

WonderDude Active Member

I used to have lots of trouble with my Prevail until I upgraded to Gingerbread. Now I actually have just a little less space, but no more problems.
  11. mikecintel

Hi Wonder Dude,

Lucky you.
  12. WonderDude

WonderDude Active Member

I take it you're still having them. :(
  13. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Hmmmm....Xprt is $99.99 and the Boost website has a $20 off coupon code.
  14. mikecintel

Hi Wonderdude,

Yes unfortunately I still have the prevail. You can look at my link to see what the heck I am going through with Samsung repair ugh.
  15. WonderDude

WonderDude Active Member

WOW! I think if I were in your shoes I'd just bite the bullet and get the XPRT.

One thing that is holding me back right now is that I am still grandfathered under the $35/month deal. If I get the XPRT, I think my rate will go up to $40/month which isn't allot. But it adds up over a while.
  16. mikecintel

Hi Wonderdude,

Yes and you see me what I am going through. I am waiting for the Motorola Photon for Boost if Motorola ever release it for Boost that is. That is a GREAT phone and a lot of people gave GREAT reviews for the Motorola Photon for Sprint. Yes it does add up a while but that is white pricing plan it will add up.