• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prevent Accidental Button-Pressing?

Hallo happy people!

I have a request on behalf of a less technologically adapt friend with a brand new Samsung Captivate. She's the kind of person who presses her cheek to the phone while talking and she constantly complains (as she did with her old Blackberry Torch) that her cheek will press the touchscreen "buttons" during phone calls.

I don't know why the sensor isn't working for her, and I don't think I can fix it. What I was hoping for was some sort of app that would add a "lock" screen to the phone during a call. Not necessarily a passkey, but at least a slider or something.

Her Captivate is running Gingerbread and she's very anti-rooting. Would appreciate any help or advice!

Press the lock key when on a phone.

Anyway, it depends on how she holds her phone, especially if it was happening on her old touch phone too. Basically there is a distance limit on the sensor, about half a centimeter. Just tell her to hold the phone in a way that the sensor is touching her head.

From your description of "her cheek touches the onscreen buttons on a call", I would say she holds the ear piece (and the sensor beside it) AWAY from her ear. This is because the touch screen buttons are on the lower part of the screen and testing it on my phone shows that if I hold my phone as I usually do (pressing the earpiece and the sensor part to my ear), my phone does not even touch my cheek. Just tell her to lower the in call volume of the phone and press the earpiece and sensor closer to her head.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones