• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prevent screen blank when calling automated switchboards!

Codger

Aug 16, 2011
This may be a more general Android question but since mine is i5801 I'll try here first.

I know how to set the general screen blank (currently 2 min) but that seems to be over-ridden when making a call.

The problem is that when you reach one of those wretched automated switchboards which begin "Please select from the following list of options...", even if you know which option you want without having to listen to them all, the screen has blanked and, by the time you've got the screen and keyboard back, the opportunity has gone! This can be even more infuriating/impossible if you have to type in a card number for example (or a top-up code on payg).

[This exercise is even harder on its predecessor, a (non-Android) Alcatel 708]

OK! Should I assume that no-one else has this problem or that no-one has the answer?

If the phone had a speakerphone capabilty then I could have it away from my ear to enable me to respond. Perhaps the only solution it to use earphones or a hands-free bluetooth device in these situations?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones