Prevent voice calls from using wi-fi?General

1. darkcastle

darkcastle Member

I want to use wi-fi for data, any way to be connected to wi-fi for data while using cell service for voice calls? I get better quality with cell service but I want to use wi-fi for email / web.

Advertisement
  2. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Well-Known Member

The only time you would use Wi-Fi for voice calls would be when making a VOIP call via an app such as Skype or Viber. The only thing I can suggest is to disable Wi-Fi before you make a call by dragging the notification panel down and turning Wi-Fi off from there. In fact, you can turn your Wi-Fi on only when you need to send/receive emails or surf the interweb and turn it off when you're done.

Ray.
  3. darkcastle

darkcastle Member

When I am connected on wi-fi and I make a regular voice call it is using wi-fi. I can tell because if I leave the wi-fi area and wi-fi disconnects my call disconnects. I don't want to have to turn my wi-fi on and off every time I make a call.
  4. rayhipkiss

Regular calls use the cell network, not Wi-Fi. Only Voip uses Wi-Fi/Mobile internet. Are you absolutely sure you're not calling via a voip app?

Ray.
  5. darkcastle

darkcastle Member

I'm positive. Try this if you don't believe me. Make a call when you are connected to wi-fi using the green 'phone' button in the lower panel. Unplug your wireless router. A message comes up saying 'you are going outside your wi-fi networks range, your call may drop'. The call then drops. There has to be a way to prevent this.
  6. rayhipkiss

I wasn't going to try it because it makes no sense. Mobile phone networks use the GSM/WCDMA standards and not Wi-Fi. But, just to satisfy myself I did try it and didn't get disconnected with a Wi-Fi error message (as I suspected). The call stayed connected even though the router was unplugged.

I honestly don't know what is going on with your phone and how you are able to make calls over Wi-Fi without using VOIP.

Can I ask who your network carrier is and what country you are in?

Cheers.

Ray.
  7. darkcastle

darkcastle Member

Sweet thanks your comment led me to the answer. t-mobile has an app on here called wife calling which hijacks your calls to wife. i disabled it and im now using cell svc
  8. rayhipkiss

Cool. Glad it's sorted for you.

Ray.