Prevent Wifi Connection to specific NetworksSupport

1. aSystemOverloa

aSystemOverloa Well-Known Member

Just recently my Defy keeps connecting to random BT-FON networks rather than the house WiFi.

Any ideas why this is and how I can prevent it. In case it's relevant, I have Wi-Fi Finder and WiFi Manager apps.

Advertisement
    :
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Just delete the network from your network settings;)
  3. aSystemOverloa

It's not in my list of networks. It, along with the other BT-FON associated networks are there when I check what network I'm on because I can't do anything, only to find it's chosen the random public one over a favorite secure one.. GRRR
  4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

In order for it to connect it MUST be in your network list. There is no other way it would connect.
  5. aSystemOverloa

Well it's not in my list of networks. When I go into Manage Wireless Networks and it scans for everything within range, it comes up, but thats all. I only have three networks in my permanent list and the BT-FONs are not any of them.
  6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

If the random networks in question are WiFi and using a consistent SSID then maybe add a manual network with an incorrect password...
  7. aSystemOverloa

I received an alert that this post had been linked to from another. Just thought I'd post an update. It turns out that my ISP's app (My Vodafone) had an option to automatically connect to free BT-FON networks.

So if this is happening to you, check your provider's app and any WiFi Managers that have an option to automatically connect to Public Networks.
  8. Diabo

Diabo Well-Known Member

peterbye and !on like this.
  9. aSystemOverloa

Diabo, don't know if you're advertising a product for financial gain, but this thread ended ages ago, so strange for someone to 'supply a solution' to something that has already been fixed.
  10. Diabo

Diabo Well-Known Member

It's a free app, I'm not the author of it, and I'm sure you're not the only one with the same question. If someone Googles the same issue the chance of finding a solution has increased a bit.
  11. Helix751

Helix751 New Member

Thanks @Diabo. I agree. These forums are indeed much more of a knowledge base than a conversation and help is appreciated even after months of inactivity.

I experience the very same problem, described in the following post.

Regards and thanks again for your suggestion.