• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Prez Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your concerns over medical needs are very real.

Your concerns over immigration and foreigners are speculative *fears*, fuelled by a propaganda machine that WANTS you to be afraid.

The chances of any of our children suffering from lack of medical coverage during a healthcare crisis are far greater than them being harmed by *fill in outsider boogeyman of choice*

Upvote 0
Do you know any Muslims? Do you know anything about Islam apart from alt-right propaganda (such as the lies that Islam commands the killing of innocents - total BS, explicitly condemned in the Qu'ran)? I have many Muslim friends, colleagues and students. They are people, like any other, on average I'd say a bit more peaceful than the British average.

And incidentally I live in a city which a Fox "expert" claimed on air last year was a no go zone for non-Muslims (and as a white non-Muslim European I am part of the majority group in this city). Just mentioning this to show how blatant some of the falsehoods told even on TV are (never mind the conspiracy sites).

Yes, you can find nutters who have used every religion, and pretty much every non-religious belief system, to justify their behaviour, it does not mean that their claims have any validity. You can find criminals, abusers and bigots in any group as well. But the lesson of history when it comes to using fear of "the other" as a tool is very clear.

(And in case anyone is still tempted to label people as terrorists, supporters or funders of terrorism on the basis of ethnicity, religion or geography, please consider that I lived through a sustained terrorist campaign over a couple of decades, deliberately targetting innocents and rescue services, that was carried out by white nominal Christians and received much of its funding and munitions from the USA. So you'll understand why I'll have no truck with such labelling of groups of people: there is no ethinicity, no religion, and no nationality, for which you could not level such accusations, and they will always be unjust.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think we need a Brewster's Millions "None of the above" option on the ballot.

image-jpeg.643445

Upvote 0
Your concerns over medical needs are very real.

Your concerns over immigration and foreigners are speculative *fears*, fuelled by a propaganda machine that WANTS you to be afraid.

The chances of any of our children suffering from lack of medical coverage during a healthcare crisis are far greater than them being harmed by *fill in outsider boogeyman of choice*

Do you know any Muslims? Do you know anything about Islam apart from alt-right propaganda (such as the lies that Islam commands the killing of innocents - total BS, explicitly condemned in the Qu'ran)? I have many Muslim friends, colleagues and students. They are people, like any other, on average I'd say a bit more peaceful than the British average.

And incidentally I live in a city which a Fox "expert" claimed on air last year was a no go zone for non-Muslims (and as a white non-Muslim European I am part of the majority group in this city). Just mentioning this to show how blatant some of the falsehoods told even on TV are (never mind the conspiracy sites).

Yes, you can find nutters who have used every religion, and pretty much every non-religious belief system, to justify their behaviour, it does not mean that their claims have any validity. You can find criminals, abusers and bigots in any group as well. But the lesson of history when it comes to using fear of "the other" as a tool is very clear.

(And in case anyone is still tempted to label people as terrorists, supporters or funders of terrorism on the basis of ethnicity, religion or geography, please consider that I lived through a sustained terrorist campaign over a couple of decades, deliberately targetting innocents and rescue services, that was carried out by white nominal Christians and received much of its funding and munitions from the USA. So you'll understand why I'll have no truck with such labelling of people: there is no ethinicity, no religion, and no nationality, for which you could not level such accusations, and they will always be unjust.)

100 % agree

Upvote 0
Please don't scroll past this as "left wing media mouthpiece" - Mr Oliver does not hesitate to point out problems with ALL of the candidates (and, in the process, probably offers more factual information than many so-called "news" sources). And it's amusing, in a sick, "witnessing a trainwreck" kind of way. Well worth the watch.

Upvote 0
The guy got his silly, ill informed, paranoid, conspiracy theory ass handed to him on a stick, in the third debate.

And I missed the best (worst?) bits of the Dodger's game as a result.:mad:

I expected Chris Wallace to skew right, and frankly, I think he skewed left. Personally, I don't see how any thinking person could do otherwise when looking at the pile of puke that is the donald..........But I still would have liked to see Chris be more neutral.

P.S. Even as I'm writing this, the wheels are coming further off this Dodger game.......Still fun to watch, though.;)

Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
In the ongoing spirit of trying to find one nice thing about the opposition, I must say of donald:

I genuinely admire his single minded determination to be "the thing" that he is.
His is no put on act; I believe he genuinely believes the things he says.
I believe that he actually thinks his vision for America is the better one. (Heck, the best one......The man-child loves his unsupported superlative declarations, his ridiculous blanket statements.)
Even the things which are demonstrably false, he says them with the courage of his convictions.

I have swum....swam? swimmed??:p with sharks, but my childish fascination with them began many years before.
First of all, they are just good looking......Hydrodynamically so pure of form.
And when you look in their eyes, you can see they don't even notice you......They look right through you as they glide by. They have no opinion about whether you live or die. Until they get hungry, they don't even notice you are in the water with them. And when that instinct kicks in, and they get hungry......They get the job done with a level of efficiency that is more than admirable, it's downright fascinating. And they were as perfectly evolved as they need be, over 50 million years ago. An apex predator, running solely on instinct; A few simple lines of code running in a perfect, uninterruptable loop, the logic completely unassailable when viewed from the inside.

donald is much like the sharks I admire so much.

Why mess with perfection, why evolve any further?

A shiny nickel to any of my friends who can tell me who it was that described donald, and any prospect of a future with him as follows:;)

"You still don't understand what you're dealing with......A perfect organism. His structural perfection is matched only by his hostility. I admire his purity. A survivor, unencumbered by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. I can't lie to you about your chances, but you all have my sympathy."

I get it, I truly do. I understand the "gut level" appeal he has for some.......But you really should be looking for a lot more in a candidate for POTUS.......Something a little less slimy.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"You still don't understand what you're dealing with......A perfect organism. His structural perfection is matched only by his hostility. I admire his purity. A survivor, unencumbered by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. I can't lie to you about your chances, but you all have my sympathy."

I don't even have to look that one up. It was Ash, the science officer of the Nostromo. Describing the most perfect predator in cinematic history.

Upvote 0
donald told a joke the other night, whining about the "double standard" in the media. Why were they so hard on my wife when she told the exact same speech at the RNC convention, as the first lady gave previously?

donald, the word is plagiarism. It accounts for at least a little bit of the problem.

And how delicious is it that the JOKE was also plagiarised.

I don't have a link, but have seen the political comic strip.....Almost word for word, donald ripped the joke off.

A real class act.....donald doesn't understand simple concepts, is barely qualified to be a stand up comic, and aspiring to be POTUS.

And his supporters can't figure it out.

Reactions: notacoach
Upvote 0
I have for 20+ years really respected David Brooks, (among numerous other) (sensible) Republicans, (ask me for the list, why dontcha')?

Brooks is no dummy, in fact he's very smart, (regardless of how his opinions often differ from mine). He represents the sensible middle, the very thing which has made this glorious country function so well through it's history; And this nation will continue to do so if allowed to, and not hijacked by loudmouth, ill informed, conspiracy theory driven reactionaries.

Brooks, was a self described liberal in his younger years, until (in his own words) "coming to his senses", and spending the balance of his life as a Republican.
Quote:
"If you define conservative by support for the Republican candidate, or the belief that tax cuts are the correct answer to all problems, I guess I don’t fit that agenda. But I do think that I’m part of a longstanding conservative tradition that has to do with Edmund Burke ... and Alexander Hamilton."

He is a regular fixture on the News Hour (PBS), (Noncommercial, no drama discussions, among intelligent people from both sides, unfolding on camera, for the benefit of those of us with attention spans which don't require commercial breaks or silly front page memes to comfort us.) He consistently comes off as bright and articulate, even if he has views which differ significantly from my own. I can respect him, where others I cannot.

He has written many intelligent pieces over the years from a Republican point of view, for reputable news sources; Not the kind of embarrassing "post fact politics" s**t rags which many deplorables get their entire skewed and ill informed view of the world from. Many of his pieces have challenged my own views, and as a result, lead me to grow over the years.

This recent one comes to mind.

And recently he said of trump supporters (can't find link at moment, but from recent NY Times article , paraphrasing)

You aren't voting for Barry Goldwater here........You are voting for something well beyond Joe McCarthy.

Listen to today's radio episode of "This American Life"....(Can't find link, only aired earlier today, hope to dig up).
trump supporters should be embarrassed by believing the transparently and demonstrably obvious lies that he spouts; They gladly swallow them as if there is any truth there.

Many years ago, I listened to Rush Limburger.......I did it every day, by choice, much to the discomfort of my parents, for two years or so. But in the words of David Brooks, I "came to my senses"; I grew up, I realised what transparently silly, primitive, manipulative media tactics he was using to shape my opinions; A sound effect here and there, the flat out lies he was peddling as truth. Falsely representing the views of my Democratic opponents on the other side of the aisle. Presenting desperately flawed logic and opinions as fact. I am now simply embarrassed to think that I was actually foolish enough to fall for it, for a brief time.

trump supporters, I know you think you are awake, but you only think you are awake; And just like donald........The fact that you think it, no matter how many times you repeat the lie.......It doesn't make it true. You are being manipulated, for political gain. And you would not share in the benefit of his increasingly unlikely presidency.

The man-child is a cancer on all that is humanity; And (also) the single largest threat to this republic since its inception, (if that matters even a little to you).

And if you think that a vote for him doesn't represents a permanent, treasonous black mark upon your very soul........You should think again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The man-child is a cancer on all that is humanity; And (also) the single largest threat to this republic since its inception, (if that matters even a little to you).

And if you think that a vote for him doesn't represents a permanent, treasonous black mark upon your very soul........You should think again.

Oh.. And you're OK with the proven (time & again)
-Carcinoma of Hillary's existence in degrading our rights within the nation? Might wanna change your nap schedule then, cuz it looks like 90% all the moneys she gets are backed by exact same ppl who financially support terrorists.
- We've gotten all kinds of PROOF of what she's done illegally, anyone else would spent their remaining days in prison.
- She's gonna use the Executive Order to Str8 up REPEAL the 2nd amendment.
-Did'ja know that the survivors left from the Holocaust are terrified while watching this election? ..terrified of HILLARY!! They say it's the exact same precedence & setup as Hitler had. So even if the media has you fooled, I'd be concerned at the opinions of those who've lived it before.
-And all you ppl can say is "so what? But Donald said something mean.. & She'll be our 1st woman President!!"

Please don't misunderstand me as I think a female President would be phenomenal, just NOT HER!
- A wolf in sheep's clothing. Really. She's been lying since day one, start fact checking to catch up with the rest of sanity.
-Even the Democratic committee (Watergate) fired her for her excessive lying and lack of morals. While I swear I've been attempting to see things from your other points of view, I've learned that I'm just physically capable of shoving my cranium that far up my @$$. [emoji90]

Upvote 0
Please don't misunderstand me as I think a female President would be phenomenal, just NOT HER!

Lmfao. [emoji23] I would avoid electing ANY feminist into that high a position of power..

One of the clearest explanations I've seen, and kne which addresses the errors on both sides. Well worth the time to read and gain some factual understanding instead of relying on headlines and soundbytes.

https://medium.com/the-curious-civi...know-what-the-clinton-511dc1659eda#.8daphbfoh

Ok.. Have just read that post.. and suggest it should be mandatory reading for everyone.. well written, researched and links to the actual documents involved.... and If I was someone who was skeptical about the explanation that is given in there, I'd at least make sure that I had read the FBI documents linked to.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones