• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pricing with the SS

Sprint needs subscribers more than anything right now. There is no way this will cost more than $199 for a new 2-year agreement with MIR. If they were smart they would get rid of the MIR but at least you can buy at BBMobile and avoid that. Despite what we know or think about the Palm Pre, it was supposed to be king shit when it came out. It was the only phone that had iPhone 3GS-like specs and was supposed to save Sprint. In the end, poor advertising and spotty hardware quality killed that phone but off the bat they only charged $199 for new customers despite an off-contract price of almost $600.

Upvote 0
What is wrong with you people! The Evo is a steal at $299!
Features:
1. First 4G phone.
2. A 4.3" screen.
3. 8 megapixel rear camera
4. 1.3 megapixel front camera
5. 8 device WiFi Hotspot that will work on a 4G or 3G network.
6. HDMI output port.
7. Video recording at 720p
8. and many more

Edit: Snapdragon processor and 1G of internal storage.

Upvote 0
What is wrong with you people! The Evo is a steal at $299!
Features:
1. First 4G phone.
2. A 4.3" screen.
3. 8 megapixel rear camera
4. 1.3 megapixel front camera
5. 8 device WiFi Hotspot that will work on a 4G or 3G network.
6. HDMI output port.
7. Video recording at 720p
8. and many more

Edit: Snapdragon processor and 1G of internal storage.

You forget that this is the United States of America where people will pay exorbitant amounts of money for things...as long as they don't have to pay them up front. I can't count the number of times people chose a phone that costs $100 less on a carrier that costs $40 more per month citing cost as a reason. It's the reason prices all end in 99. For better or worse, people are suckers for low intro prices and I can almost guarantee that the amount of subscribers would be significantly higher for a $199 phone vs. a $249 phone despite the relatively small difference and added benefits of a cutting edge 4G phone.

Upvote 0
I'm sure this phone can be priced at $299 and still sell. The question is, how much more new subscribers can be seduced to a new plan with this phone at $199 (or 249)? If there is enough people to justify the discounted price, wouldn't it be worth it? Think about it, Sprint is showcasing their 4G connection right now, what better marketing then word of mouth?

Upvote 0
what better marketing then word of mouth?

Just look at the Droid. That thing sold like crazy for one reason and one reason only: the ad blitz. It was aggressively pushed as a bad-ass alternative to the countless iPhones out there. This shows in the sales numbers. No other phone besides the iPhone has gotten this kind of push and it paid off. Even the myTouch sold a good amount despite being essentially a keyboard-less G1. Once again, the reason is advertising. I was at a party yesterday and people still were talking about "that Droid that's kinda like an iPhone". Nobody knew what a Hero or Evo or whatever is.

Upvote 0
You forget that this is the United States of America where people will pay exorbitant amounts of money for things...as long as they don't have to pay them up front. I can't count the number of times people chose a phone that costs $100 less on a carrier that costs $40 more per month citing cost as a reason. It's the reason prices all end in 99. For better or worse, people are suckers for low intro prices and I can almost guarantee that the amount of subscribers would be significantly higher for a $199 phone vs. a $249 phone despite the relatively small difference and added benefits of a cutting edge 4G phone.

Just look at the Droid. That thing sold like crazy for one reason and one reason only: the ad blitz. It was aggressively pushed as a bad-ass alternative to the countless iPhones out there. This shows in the sales numbers. No other phone besides the iPhone has gotten this kind of push and it paid off. Even the myTouch sold a good amount despite being essentially a keyboard-less G1. Once again, the reason is advertising. I was at a party yesterday and people still were talking about "that Droid that's kinda like an iPhone". Nobody knew what a Hero or Evo or whatever is.

Exactly my point. Thanks. :)

Too bad not everyone has the insight like the guys who try to calculate over the long run. If there are more people talking about this phone, the more chances that this phone will be a success. And if they have succeeded in acquiring more market share in terms of consumer, wouldn't that be good for Sprint too?

Think about it, how many of us saved their money in order to buy a new car? Chances are all of us would've bought a car through a loan instead of Saving our money then buying the car with a check. It would clearly be less costly to buy it in cash instead of adding anywhere from 20%-100% of the cars value depending on your credit rating?

Upvote 0
neodorian wins this thread, second place goes to me considering the fact I've been consistently preaching $199 :)

this phone has to be priced at $199. and while I wasn't too sure Sprint would see it that way, the closer we get to the launch of this phone the more I realize they HAVE TO make it $199, not a penny more or less.

to the people arguing this phone should be priced higher due to its specs, you need to stop thinking short term. the specs are impressive in March, 2010, but before you can say EVO there will be 3+ phones that are just as loaded and as Neodorian mentioned brilliant companies like Verizon and Apple will find a way to convince consumers their phone/company is better. Android was not selling itself, trust me. People to this day still say they have the "Android" phone when they really just have the "droid", calling it the Droid and the Eris the Droid Eris was BRILLIANT

Upvote 0
neodorian wins this thread, second place goes to me considering the fact I've been consistently preaching $199 :)

this phone has to be priced at $199. and while I wasn't too sure Sprint would see it that way, the closer we get to the launch of this phone the more I realize they HAVE TO make it $199, not a penny more or less.

to the people arguing this phone should be priced higher due to its specs, you need to stop thinking short term. the specs are impressive in March, 2010, but before you can say EVO there will be 3+ phones that are just as loaded and as Neodorian mentioned brilliant companies like Verizon and Apple will find a way to convince consumers their phone/company is better. Android was not selling itself, trust me. People to this day still say they have the "Android" phone when they really just have the "droid", calling it the Droid and the Eris the Droid Eris was BRILLIANT

I was on a layover at the airport and this dude next to me was like "Oh is that one of dem iPhones?"

I say yeah and you have the Droid which runs Android.

He had no clue what the Fuc* I was talking about.

Upvote 0
No...not "exactly your point"....you're advocating the phone sell for $249 to $299.....NOT the $199 that neodorian is suggesting he'd like to see (AND what he thinks - and I agree - would attract the largest number of subscribers).

Well not really. The lower the price, the more pleased I'll be. What I was trying to say is that my maximum would be $250 and not a penny more.

What I said that was exactly my point were Bold and underlined on my previous quote...

Here's to an affordable EVO to entice new customers to Sprint! Cheers!:D

Upvote 0
Especially since I've seen the droid online for $49 after rebate.

I've actually seen the Droid FREE....and for $19....at a couple of online retailers within the past month (with a 2 year contract renewal through Verizon).

And that's why the EVO 4G needs to be priced aggressively.

There are some that think that "you get what you pay for"...and that a higher priced phone = higher quality, more bragging rights, etc. Some people with the money, like to show that they have the money to spend on top end gadgets. They want to be a part of an "exclusive club" where only a few others can join them because of the cost of some items. I have a friend who owns his own business and makes money hand over fist. He would rather spend $175 for a "great seat" to a sporting event...than spend $30 for an upper level seat. I'd rather save the $145 and still be at the same sporting event.

But here's why the EVO needs to be priced aggressively. Sprint is wanting to attract NEW customers. I am currently with Verizon. I saw this phone, and immediately became interested. Price the phone at $249 or $299....and much of that interest is gone. I'm back to waiting for Verizon to release the Incredible and see what it's price will be.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the EVO priced the same as the Nexus One ($179) with a new contract with T-Mobile. If Sprint's main objective (which I believe it is) is to attract NEW customers....aggressive pricing with this phone is the way to do it.

Upvote 0
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the EVO priced the same as the Nexus One ($179) with a new contract with T-Mobile. If Sprint's main objective (which I believe it is) is to attract NEW customers....aggressive pricing with this phone is the way to do it.

My estimates are based on the phone costing slightly more than the Nexus One since it is a bit more featured. I'm sticking with my last prediction:

$599 off contract
$349 one year upgrade
$199 for new contract/Premier upgrade after possible MIR

Upvote 0
My estimates are based on the phone costing slightly more than the Nexus One since it is a bit more featured. I'm sticking with my last prediction:

$599 off contract
$349 one year upgrade
$199 for new contract/Premier upgrade after possible MIR

If this holds true, I will be switching in a heartbeat. My contract with T-Mobile will expire this Monday (April 4) but I will be more than happy to wait till summer just to get the Evo.

If this is the case, Sprint will have another voice in promoting not only the Evo, 4G, but Sprint in general. And for each convert another voice will come up. With a brilliant marketing scheme plus the voices of the people using the Evo/4G. It's not just marketing.... IT'S A PROPAGANDA!!! :) and with that propaganda, Sprint's customer base would snow ball!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Okay let me take a chill pill and relax.... LOL :p

Upvote 0
I've actually seen the Droid FREE....and for $19....at a couple of online retailers within the past month (with a 2 year contract renewal through Verizon).

And that's why the EVO 4G needs to be priced aggressively.

There are some that think that "you get what you pay for"...and that a higher priced phone = higher quality, more bragging rights, etc. Some people with the money, like to show that they have the money to spend on top end gadgets. They want to be a part of an "exclusive club" where only a few others can join them because of the cost of some items. I have a friend who owns his own business and makes money hand over fist. He would rather spend $175 for a "great seat" to a sporting event...than spend $30 for an upper level seat. I'd rather save the $145 and still be at the same sporting event.

But here's why the EVO needs to be priced aggressively. Sprint is wanting to attract NEW customers. I am currently with Verizon. I saw this phone, and immediately became interested. Price the phone at $249 or $299....and much of that interest is gone. I'm back to waiting for Verizon to release the Incredible and see what it's price will be.

I hope what you wrote is true. I have tmobile and my contract doesn't end until october. But I may sell my g1 in the summer break the contract just to buy this phone. Even though tmobile has the hd2 now its on windows mobile and I do not want that. I do not see tmobile coming out with a new killer android phone anytime soon as well

Upvote 0
some people are just dense talking about $49, $19 and free droids. Have you seen that price offered at a Verizon store or direct from Verizon? No. Those prices you see have ZERO to do with what Verizon originally listed the Droid for. What places like Wirefly and Amazon do with pricing again, has zero to do with where Verizon set the price which right now is at $199.99 with contract. And you're still at a minimum of $90/mo ($93 w/visual voicemail), though I don't understand how they charge extra for checking exchange type mail. That's just really odd. Like their system knows I'm using Moxier or Touchdown to check email? And they want another $15/mo for that? Wow. So glad I'm on Sprint.

Also of interest....Nights don't start till 9pm. Believe it's 7pm on Sprint. Mobile to Mobile is Verizon only which is at least better than T-Mobile just for the sheer number of users. But all of which leads to eating in to that 450 minutes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones