Printing from note 10.1 - is this a Samsung ripoff?General

Last Updated:

1. LenD

LenD Member

The otherwise very impressive Note 10.1 will not allow any of its apps to print other than to a Samsung printer. Those workarounds that I have found are clunky and don't print from the apps but only via file manager.

It is less than honest of Samsung not to make this clear.

BE WARNED

Advertisement
  2. excav8ter

excav8ter Well-Known Member

I just printed a price sheet from my HP ePrint app. Worked just fine. But it didn't work from the Polaris Office app.
  3. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member

I have an HP printer and use printer share (free version) and QuickOffice with no difficulties
  4. LenD

LenD Member

Interesting. Just to confirm, is this on a Note 10.1?

Does it print direct from the App or do you have send it via another app or hunt the file down and send it form File Manage (those seem to be the 3 options)
  5. pwatkins

pwatkins Active Member

Google Cloud Print works with nearly all printers (even really old ones!) which are attached to a computer running the same google account as on your Note 10.1. Works in Chrome, e-mail and many other apps which allow you to "share". Once you have run the App then "Cloud Print" comes up as one of the Share menu options in each individual App. You can print the page directly or the Cloud App converts the file to a pdf for printing.

The printer doesn't need to be on the same WiFi network. It can be the other side of the world as long as the two computers are on the same google account and the PC with the printer is running Chrome where you can activate your Google Account.

Download Google Cloud Print for free on the Google Play Store.
  6. LenD

LenD Member

Thanks. I will try this. In theory HP ePrint works in the same way - ie becomes a sharing option in the App itself. But it only does that in some apps and not the ones that matter to me. Perhaps I just expected the same sort of simplicity that Apple provides.
  7. ckelly33

It is from a Note 10.1...as well as my Galaxy Nexus.

From QuickOffice (or any app) I just use the "send" function but rather than choosing email, etc, the PrinterShare app is listed. Choose it.

You can also open PrinterShare directly and browse pictures, Google docs, contacts, calendar, gmail, and others and direcly print from the app as well.
  8. ckelly33

I found on Saturday that the stuff created in S Note is not as easy - but not real hard either. Simply printing (as the post above) cuts off the top and bottom line from an S Note. This work around is only needed for S Note files:

Long press on the book you want to print, choose 'Share via' then .pdf. S Note will bring up a list of apps that you can share with and PrinterShare is not listed. I use either Email/Gmail/Drive or Dropbox.

Next, I have to go to the new file location on a computer open it in Adobe and print is (making sure that 'Fit to Page' is chosen). Not ideal, but I only have to do this in S Note (or I have to remember not to write on the top & bottom lines).

The premium app is worth it even though it is steep. I got is as the 'Free App of the Day' on Amazon App Store.