printing from samsung galaxy note

1. isteve

isteve Member

Hi Peeps, I was used to printing stuff from my ipod touch to my wi fi printer.
    Now that I have a Note I want to do the same BUT when I tried, I got a pop up stating I can only print to a Samsung printer GRRRRRRR.

Does anyone know a way to print to my hp wi fi printer ?
    There probably is an app for that so I'll go check em out but it would be great to know if anyone can recommend a way to print via wi fi that does not involve the purchase of another printer :)

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. LenD

LenD Member

Downloaded the app, registered. etc , found and connected. to the printer but the Note still tells me I can only print to a Samsung printer.

I am sure that I have left some steps out. What are they? I am obviously too used to the simplicity of Apple and a move to Android might have been a step in the wrong direction.

All the glowing reviews never mentioned this issue. Wonder why not?
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Probably depends on how you "print". I don't have the apps, but I'd think you have to use the "share" function to the HP app and not use the "print" option.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

That sounds like vendor lock-in, so you can only use their products and accessories.

It's not Android doing that, it's Samsung. With Android in general you should be able to use any WiFi printer. Maybe Samsung have implemented a restriction so you can only use Samsung printers with their devices. Maybe the reviewers all had Samsung printers? :rolleyes:

A solution would be to change the ROM to something that isn't Samsung, e.g. CyanogenMod.
  5. chanchan05

You can only use Samsung printers if you use the "Print" button in the Samsung browser. You need to "share" it to the HP printer app. No need to change ROMs
    mikedt likes this.
  6. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Yes, in a reader or editor, a file action with Share should let you choose the HP print app.

Even more easily: A file manager like EStrongs File Explorer let you choose directly the HP print app when you tap on a file.

Harry
  7. LenD

LenD Member

Thanks everybody - I have it working. That is a pretty unacceptable approach for Samsung to adopt. The world should be warned.
    mikedt likes this.
  8. LenD

LenD Member

Not every app will allow this - the browser will but e.g. S-Note and Polaris, two of the key apps do not let me share to the HP printer app.

Not good
  9. chanchan05

On Polaris, you use 'Send'. I don't have S-Notes, but I do know that it syncs to Google Docs and you can print from there. Also, i forgot to mention, that newer HP printers have a feature wherr you can give them a specific email address, so that you can email an attachment to your printer and it will print.

Bear in mind that the browser on your phone and the S-Notes app are made by Samsung, so its understandable if they don't support other printers. The Stock Android feature for direct printing from the phone uses Google Cloud Print, which your device supports. You can use that if you prefer.