Printing

Last Updated:

1. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I realise that I haven't seen references to printing from any apps. Is it possible to get printouts from a Hero via a WiFi network printer?

Advertisement
  2. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

There are a couple of apps I've seen in the marketplace that claim to let you print, I've never tried them myself, so I can't vouch for how good they are.
    the two I noticed were-

PrinterShare by Mobile Dynamix, a free app which seems to require software installed on your PC to work, and the PC would presumably need to stay on.

Send 2 Printer by Robert Chou, which is $1.99 but apparently doesn't need a PC, so it's maybe closer to what you're looking for

3. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. I'll look into this when I have time. I wonder if a printer driver is needed and id so where I get it from.

4. didjmaster

didjmaster New Member

I haven't had any luck with PrinterShare (free version). It claims to be able to print by connecting to a printer on a wireless network. I can connect to that network, but I still don't get access to the printer.

I tried accessing the printer via Bluetooth as well (because the printer has that capability), and for some reason it can pair with it but cannot "connect" to it. I try printing through PrinterShare, and it says that the document printed successfully - but nothing happens on the printer's end.

Reading the documentation on the printer's manual - HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m (all-in-one wireless printer) - it says that unsuccessful pairing or connecting to the printer could mean that the phone is not compatible with the printer.

I have seen it work connected to other Bluetooth phones (non-android), so it could be that many printers (including my new one that is mentioned above) has not quite made the switch over to Android compatibility. Sad because there are apps (like PrinterShare) that are supposed to make this happen.

Additionally I tried another app - Cypria Free - and I cannot get the Hero to recognize the printer. It scans and finds nothing, though I can find the printer with other devices (computers, cameras, etc.) Just like PrinterShare (free version), Cypria Free may not have the capability to connect to these devices properly, as they are FREE. Apparently the paid versions of both apps indicate that their "premium" features include "direct print to nearby WiFi capable printers." If this is the case, what is the point of the free versions of these apps?

In general, disappointed that i cannot print for free from my Hero - especially when my friends phone (from Nextel that is over 3 years old) works just fine via bluetooth.

So, might need to pay for the upgrade on the apps, might just need printers that are compatible with Android phones. Of course, it could be the obvious - that the phone needs to have the printer drivers installed on it. I went to HP's website, and they do not offer a mobile version of the drivers.

I am curious to see if anyone else is successful with printing from a Hero.

5. doctor_don

doctor_don New Member

Although I have had no experience with wireless printing, I do know that it is possible through an app called HP iPrint for iPhone - since December 2008.

Just wondering if what you told your printer to print was actually sent to your computer instead of immediately being printed.

6. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

We have a tiny Polaroid instant printer thing here that connects to phones via Bluetooth and that connects to a Sony Ericcson okay but not to any Android phones. The version of Bluetooth doesn't allow file transfer in OS1.5 / OS1.6 but ought to in 2.1. Guess it's just a case of waiting for an update.