• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Prior to root, Backing up Wireless Hotspot data question

virodeath

Dec 29, 2009
I am getting ready to "try" to root my phone and the one bit of info that I would like to save is all the wireless hotspot locations/passwords I have collected. What is the best way to do this?

I am also wondering, I have read several threads on people rooting their phone back one version to the 2.05 I think it was. Why would you do that? I thought I read there is a 2.1 working root correct?

Thank you in advance for you time helping me

Viro

Hey thank you guys, I didn't realize that the Hotspots were synced to my goggle account. Also thanks for the link, going to go give this a try in an hour after dinner. Will post my results.

If I may ask another question, once I find a Rom I like will I have to re-root my phone every time I want to install a new Rom or does one overwrite another or is there a software I need to manage them, I thought I read about a Rom manager but haven't actually researched it yet.

OH and is there like a site or a link somewhere that the android community keep all the mods and Roms at or do you gota kinda just Google everything?

Viro

Upvote 0
RomManager is an awesome app to help you manage and install your ROMs... I would suggest going to sites like allDroid, CyanogenMod, and DroidForums for ROMs and themes. You will not have to re-root your phone with each ROM.

I would advise that you read everything you can about ROMs and how they work and what they do. It helps a lot and you will be able to do so much more with your phone. As a first starter ROM I would suggest something like Pete's Bugless Beast or even FABs remix... (both are available on this forum)

Upvote 0
Ok so I want to make sure I understand this correctly, I am going to install the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf instead of the VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03. sbf
??

and then (going to quote you out of this thread:)

"What you should do if you want this ROM is download it, rename it update.zip, put it on your sdcard, go into recovery, do a factory reset, then go down to install, allow update.zip, install update.zip."

so I find a Rom I like, go through the install I just quoted and the phone will automatically be rooted as well as having the Rom I like.?

Viro

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones