• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Privacy application to hide SMS, Contacts, etc?

brandonpoc

Lurker
Jul 9, 2012
This is my first post; hello, forum! :smokingsomb:

Anyways --

I am a newer Android user and am looking for an application that will allow me to hide selected contacts, text messages, media, phone calls, etc. I'd imagine it as a 'parallel' contacts list/messages/calls application where the data can be accessed via a special pass-code or mode that is enabled and disabled at my leisure.

I'd imagine an application that hides selected contacts and text messages, along with their name showing up on an incoming phone call, unless a special mode is enabled via a pass code.

I'd like to be able to hide messages and names in the contacts list, as well as call history, of certain contacts in order to avoid friends who occasionally use the phone from violating my privacy.

Is anyone aware of such a program or something similar?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

Welcome to the forums and Android. I don't know of any privacy apps that can block out certain contacts, etc. (But that doesn't mean they don't exist.) You can try using an app to password protect certain apps. I use "App Lock" which allows me to lock apps. You will need a password to use the apps that are protected.

Upvote 0
I think that PINCushion does most of what you're looking for. It doesn't currently hide media but it is, as you describe, a parallel contact management application that hides selected contact, SMS and call history and diverts them to a password protected application (with the added advantage of a "safe" password that renders the application a simple PIN management app).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.microscopictopic.pincushion

Disclaimer: I wrote it, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones