Privacy concerns

1. NickGather

NickGather New Member

Well it started out by me signing a new 2 year contract with sprint when they introduces the Nexus S 4g for free and so i signed up... First i started noticing issues with the signal and not gettin some text messages and missed calls until sometimes 2 days later from the time they were sent... So i returned the phone within my 14 day time period and paid 200$ + dollars to upgrade to the Samsung Epic Touch 4g... As i got home and started looking through my applications (ALL) and (RUNNING) i noticed some applications that were labeled "DEFAULT" that are installed on my device that completely Invade every part of my privacy by FAR.. I am Outraged at this and i tried to factory reset my phone and did so but when my phone was started back up the same applications were still on my phone... Please someone HELP.. Considering filing a lawsuit...

Ive ran Lookout Mobile Security, Carrier IQ detecxtor and they all come back as my phone being Safe... Ha well i dont feel safe when an application has permission to record audio and video and take pictures at will i feel pretty unprotected when these apps can broadcast my signal in order to recieve info from my phone or send and recieve texts and even edit them and my email accounts as well... Rediculous... Thanks i HAVE A zip file WITH AROUND 200 OR SO PICTURES OF AROUND 20 TO 30 APPS BUT SINCE IM NEW IT WILL NOT LET ME POST THEM WILL GIVE YOUTUBE LINK AFTER SETUP

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums!

I've moved your post to its own thread in the Sprint forum as your issue isn't related to Carrier IQ.

Sorry for the inconvenience to new members of not being able to post attachments, but this is a necessary anti-spam measure.
    Frisco likes this.
  3. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

I think you are just being paranoid.
    KENNECTED and BenChase7 like this.
  4. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

Now...now. I agree in theory but lets be a bit more welcoming and helpful! :)

OP, what give you so much concern? Is this your first android device? Do you understand the android system?
  5. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with KENNECTED.

There are a lot of apps that seem to require a large amount of access to various features. However, just because a given app is granted access to certain things, does not make it a bad app. In most cases it just means that a feature of the app can for example record video or access your e-mail.

An example is the YouTube app that comes pre installed on most Smartphones. If you read the permission, one of the permissions is that it has access to your camera. Do that mean that it will record video without your knowledge, No. The permission is there to let you know it has access to your camera because a feature of the YouTube app lets you record video from your phone and post it directly to your YouTube account if you choose.

Now can a rogue app use a permission maliciously, yes, but as long as you make sure to only download apps from the Google Play app store, you should be fine.

At the momment, I cannot remember the title of the thread, but someone in a thread on this site actually took the time to explain in detail each of the permissions that app typically request and the typical reasons.
  6. sanchanim

sanchanim New Member

Sprint has removed the Carrier IQ libraries at least at the software level. It doesn't mean they won't put that back in the future, but for now it is off Sprint based phones.
    To that end Carrier IQ software does NOT record messages SMS or voice calls. Go to Carrier IQ's web site there is a document there which covers all possible options with regard to profiles the carriers could use.
    In this case Sprint is no longer collecting data.
    I would be more concerned with Verizon's implementation of logmein to remotely connect to your phone. I am not saying they will sit there and read your text messages, but it is a big back door, and there hasn't been much in the way of descriptions regarding restrictions, password and user access management, and how they will keep it from being put in stealth mode.
    I am not saying their decision is bad, but without describing what safe guards are put in place it is possible that a user could download a malicious app which could change the back door's permissions, which would be all bad. At least with Carrier IQ you know there is a defined set of data which could be sent back, and not someone connecting and looking at I would assume anything. Then again they might have restricted what access is given but I don't know.
    As far a your Default apps, those aren't Carrier IQ but could be things like pre-installed stuff, that Sprint wants you to have. I know they annouced working with Smith Micro so you might want to have a look at that.
    Also the phone manufacturer might have installed apps. These might be on the android OS for functionality, look and feel.