• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Privacy?

n31

Lurker
Aug 28, 2009
Hey

Im new to Android~ and really loving the idea and all... but i have a question.

When you use the google service, google docs, calander etc, you accept an agreement that anything their used for remains the property of google right?... or something like that

Is there a similar agreement with android?

I want to get the Sony Ericsson Rachael phone when it comes out (1ghz processor running android will be heaven!) but i just wonder about privacy and what google have access to with your phone...?

Im not a super paranoid guy - just curious is all :p

wonder if anyone can shed some light?

Well, first off, android is just an OS, so it's less about a phone than using google in any capacity in the first place. You certainly can opt out of using google apps in android, but that would be boring. ;) As far as 'google privacy', I think it's best to google those words and read their privacy centre to get the scoop. Should those words be trusted? Well of course that's a good question, and comes down to the balance one has in one's life between mistrust of large corporations and personal convenience. For me, I think the transparency google offers(their choice) and the countless security hackers constantly watching what they're doing to your computer let me sleep at night. I've got to tell you, I find it bizarre that people upload their personal medical info to google medical, but that's where I draw the line.
DT

Upvote 0
see i kinda agree and disagree...

if its an OS - then one could argue that EVERYTHING within the phone is property of google right? that was my worry...

also - even though its a brilliant service that would save you hundreds of dollars, Google Voice scares me the most... every sms you make, every phone you make - streames through their servers... which as we know keep everything on file without disposal... isnt it kinda stupid to use that? i mean if you're doing nothing wrong then why fear it right? but i guess thats where i draw my line - and it annoys me so much that i instictivly draw it there because android looks to be such an awesome system and services like Voice are well thought out - i just wish they didnt feel the need to keep everything copied on their server - wether it be for market research or other things... if its all there - its only a matter of time before someone finds a way to access it right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones