• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Private cloud

There's an awful lot of options available depending on budget and equipment.

Personally I have a vpn server (built into an Asus rt-n66u router with free DNS service) that gives me secure external access to files held on a pair of Windows Home Server boxes (2003 and 2011).

The router is quite pricey for a domestic but gives me very good WiFi plus an Asus AICloud app with file browsing and wake over WAN.

With this setup I can also use ES File Explorer to copy files to my N4 directly when connected to the VPN, and I have the ability to use my home ISP to browse the internet when connected to a potentially insecure public WiFi spot.

I did originally consider using Windows Home Server to offer remote access but had some security concerns with that approach (plus my servers are setup to hibernate when not in use and WHS remote access interferes with hibernation). With the setup I have now even if an attacker penetrated the VPN they would still have to crack each machine's security to gain further access.

I also looked at setting up a vpn server on a dedicated raspberry pi but it looked too labour intensive for my taste. The setup I have now is pretty much maintenance free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones