• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Private Contact List

Is it possible to have a group, or individual contacts that DO NOT sync with the rest of your phone book? I have 2 devices, Nexus 4 and Samsung GS3. On my Nexus phone, I want to store some contact information, but I DO NOT want it to sync with my GS3. I do want all other contacts to be synced however. So, I want all contacts from my GS3 to be on my Nexus, but I want some of my contacts on my NEXUS to only be on my nexus. Does that make sense? Any ideas? Seems the sync is all or nothing. Thanks for the help.

One solution would be to create another Google account populated with the small set of contacts. Then, add that account to you N4 and sync the contacts. Don't add the account to the GS3.

I actually don't want them synced anywhere. I just want them to reside solely on my N4. Right now I am stuck using a text document and have to do the numbers manually. This is a security and privacy issue.

Upvote 0
I'd say your request is something very specific so its unlikely many (if any) people have wanted it before.

On a typical account if you dont want your contacts synced, the solution is easy. To only have selected contacts available on a different device would be highly bespoke.

"I should not have to open a dummy account" - you've come on here looking for a solution and a solution has been provided. It would have been quicker for you to create that additional google account, than it was for you to type that post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones