Private E-mail AccountSupport

Last Updated:

1. emishu

emishu New Member This Topic's Starter

The e-mail account that I use on a regular basis is the e-mail account that my high school set up for me. It is not an account that is organized with a bigger company such as google, yahoo, hotmail, etc. When I tried to set up my email account on my Droid ally, it asks me for a lot of detailed information about my server and then said it could not connect. I used to have a Blackberry Tour and it did not require any information other than username and password to set up an email account so I know my school does not have any restrictions on this type of thing.
    Does anyone know what I should do? The Verizon store had no idea. Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. unl0rd

unl0rd Member

When you set up the email on your Droid, use exchange instead of choosing new account.

3. emishu

emishu New Member This Topic's Starter

I tried that... it still doesn't connect to the server. I get the message "setup could not finish - unable to open connection to server"

4. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member

I was having issues setting up even a basic yahoo account with the ally's built in mail client.

Give a third party mail app a shot, I chose K-9 Mail and I'm much happier with it than the built in mail application.

k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

5. aholden

aholden New Member

I just wrote a new thread about basically the same thing before I came across yours. I also have a school account for the university of iowa and it uses microsoft exchange. The only way I have found a solution is to use an app like the reply above stated. I use roadsync but am trying to find a more direct route that doesn't require an app. But I agree with you, school email accounts are difficult to set up.

6. bisbers

bisbers Well-Known Member

Not sure about the ally, but on my DInc, had a similar experience (blackberry was super-simple, some work for droid).

In my case:
    1. I confirmed with our IT group that active sync was enable for the org and for the account.
    2. Account details:
    account@domain.tld (my.name@mycompany.com)
    webmail.domain.tld (webmail.mycompany.com)
    domain (mycompany)
    account (my.name)
    password
    require ssl - yes
    3. If you have a semi-useful help desk, requesting the info above might go a long way.
    4. If I remember (Sorry guys, probably won't), this weekend I'll try to setup my exchange on my gfs ally and see what happens.