• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PRL and Profile

MR ED!!!!! HOWDY!!! Long time no see good sir!! For those unfamiliar with the talking horse (of course, of course) he was an invaluable asset to the OG Evo community from yesteryear. Nice to see you back in action my good man!

And i dont mean to stir the hornets nest here, but is there a vzw 3g prl updater for the LTEVO like there is for the OG? And if so, is there a vzw LTE update also? I know lte is a totally different animal, but i imagine that there has to be a hack for it somehw... I REALLY dont want to get a vzw account, and sprint is totally sketchy in the area of the midwest where i reside.

Upvote 0
keep trying...from another location 5+ miles away if you can. Your phone is not communicating with the tower (tower could be down or overloaded)

I am currently in Omaha taking care of my mom and was in a small town west of here which is about 10 miles away from my mother's house. I have tried several times to run a PRL from the house, with the last time getting the vDM msg. Maybe tomorrow it will connect. If not, guess I will take it in to the store. Which is kinda scary given sprint's track record..lol.

Upvote 0
MR ED!!!!! HOWDY!!! Long time no see good sir!! For those unfamiliar with the talking horse (of course, of course) he was an invaluable asset to the OG Evo community from yesteryear. Nice to see you back in action my good man!

And i dont mean to stir the hornets nest here, but is there a vzw 3g prl updater for the LTEVO like there is for the OG? And if so, is there a vzw LTE update also? I know lte is a totally different animal, but i imagine that there has to be a hack for it somehw... I REALLY dont want to get a vzw account, and sprint is totally sketchy in the area of the midwest where i reside.

there is indeed. It took me getting a Job there to get them to reinstate my account btw :p

I am currently in Omaha taking care of my mom and was in a small town west of here which is about 10 miles away from my mother's house. I have tried several times to run a PRL from the house, with the last time getting the vDM msg. Maybe tomorrow it will connect. If not, guess I will take it in to the store. Which is kinda scary given sprint's track record..lol.

Typically the issue resolves itself within 24 hours or when you go to a different area.

Hope all is ok with your mom

Upvote 0
there is indeed. It took me getting a Job there to get them to reinstate my account btw :p

Typically the issue resolves itself within 24 hours or when you go to a different area.

Hope all is ok with your mom

Thank you Mr. Ed. She is recovering from partial hip replacement and just came home yesterday. However, was a long night. Hopefully today will be better.

I kept my phone off overnight and tried to update this morning. It actually got to the point of saying updating PRL...but it never did and timed out. Tried a little later and it gave me the same msgs as yesterday. Very frustrating. Guess that is what I get for trying to update the PRL..lol.

Any other ideas? Anyone else have this problem after running the update?

Upvote 0
I did a PRL update just a bit ago and now I am getting "data call failure - error code 97. Unable to establish wireless data connection." I got home and connected via wifi and tried another PRL update and got this message, "vDM client stopped unexpectedly. Send error report to HTC?"

I have tried several times to run a PRL from the house, with the last time getting the vDM msg.

I kept my phone off overnight and tried to update this morning. It actually got to the point of saying updating PRL...but it never did and timed out. Tried a little later and it gave me the same messages as yesterday.

I ran into the same situation trying to update PRL and Profile last Friday (Error 97, Data Call failure, vDM stopped, EPST crashes, and Error 1012), however mine happened before updating to the recent maintenance release (still waiting), so there is some other variable/circumstance that makes it happen.

My handset had a complete data failure. If I went into Settings -> About -> Phone ID -> Current Username. The info that was there was 3 lines of completely random strings of changing characters as opposed to the regular account username displayed on 1 line. Something got totally garbled.

I backed up my data then used Sprint.com CSR chat to get my MSL to try to reset through back end menus using dialer codes. However, those resets were not enough to get my data fully re-provisioned. I had to reset through the bootloader menu and get the handset to go through the entire hands free activation, like a brand new device. Updated PRL and Profile after that and back in business.

Hopefully you stopped by a store or online and got your device fixed up already. If not, or if others end up with the same error, that is the process that made my mobile data work again. Don't forget to back up before you reset and clear Google wallet if applicable.

Upvote 0
Yep, same problems here. Can't receive calls or texts. After profile update, I started seeing Error 97, vDM errors, and com.android.phone errors. I've done factory resets and had two stores spend time with it. Can't fix it. They said they moved my ESN# to another phone and it worked fine, moved it back and same problems. They also said a refurbished replacement is what I should do. Sucks.

Upvote 0
So i know that it is an option to manually load your own PRL and get faster data and better service in areas where Sprints signal is not so good, so that you can use Verizons roaming and get 3g data speeds.

1. So what i dont get, is why is some places when i roam, do i get 3g, and other i only get 1k?

2. Next, is there a way to hack the phone to always use 3g when roaming? I ask this because that would be much easier than having to load a new PRL when you are needing it for just a few areas.

Upvote 0
Be cautious....sprint has really cracked down on this. Anything more than 300 mb of roaming data and your account is subject to termination.

There is a thread on this in the Sprint carrier subforum and on xda

Will try and find the link in a bit http://androidforums.com/sprint/490340-off-network-roaming-changing-prl-concerns.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=152927
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1707673

I think there is st least two more on xda but I have to get back to work

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I also now have PRL 25006. Was hoping that the software update would give me access to improved coverage - signal strength.

Unfortunately, I have only one signal bar even though the Sprint Coverage Map shows that I am in the middle of a strongest Sprint signal area. Customer/Technical service advised me a few weeks ago that a tower in my area was being services, but should be back on line within a few days....

Oh well, ....

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Well I just did a PRL update and the phone did its thing and rebooted after update and then the Error 67 Data call failure showed up. It has erased my current user id and I think that is the problem not authenticating.

I have called the phone and it is receiving calls. Not sure about texts will check that later.

Does anyone know how to reset this? I did a soft reset but not a system reset. I will if this may help?

thanks in advance.

EDIT: I waited about 30 minutes and retried the up PRL and Profile and my current user name(sprint email) was listed orginally it was >1B. After the second update all was fixed. Still a bit weird.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones