PRL Self Updating?

Last Updated:

1. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I update my PRL maybe once a week - but today I noticed for the first time that it did it on its own. I was just playing around on my phone and the system started doing it.

Is this normal?

Advertisement
  2. n0gik

n0gik Well-Known Member

I'd say it's normal. PRL updates can be automatic, depending on the carrier. The carrier can 'push' PRL updates to phones or the phone user can request the update. When a carrier pushes the update, it typically means they've recently made a change to the network in your coverage area.

Your area probably saw a new tower become available, updated capacity or additional spectrum (channels). :)

3. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks that makes sense. I hope Sprint is working on coverage out here. According to their website I don't have anything but roaming, and websites that sell Sprint phones say they can't sell to me based on my location lol.

4. socodef

socodef Well-Known Member

It needs to be self updating. I have to do it at least once a week, and sometimes more if I travel. If I don't do it, I don't receive any text messages.

5. n0gik

n0gik Well-Known Member

If it were self-updating, that would be bad. Imagine millions of handsets routinely requesting updates to redundant PRL data that rarely changes. It probably would bring some cellular networks to their knees. Someone should write an iPhone app for that! DOH! or would that be DOS! :)