1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Audio software for Android

Last Updated:

1. elgo

elgo New Member This Topic's Starter

NB: I just posted this on XDA, so if you read it there, no need to read it here as well.

Hello,

With handsets like the Galaxy S series (i9000, Captivate, Vibrant, etc.) and others, it looks like we're at the point where we have the horsepower - processor, RAM, and graphics cards - needed for pro audio software to come out for Android. As it stands though, there is nothing that can match up to multitrack for iOS (a 16-track 44.1/16bit recorder) let alone fourtrack, which is only a four track audio sequencer and which I run on my iPhone 2G.

The market is there, and now the high-powered hardware is there, but the selection of audio apps is meagre at best. Does anyone know of any plans for pro audio software for Android? For that matter, video editing software like iOS 4's iMovie would be great, but we're not seeing that either.

I'm aware that there are programs that have packages of preset loops, as well as an audio multitrack and a video editor that rely on server-side rendering. I'm talking about a native solution for audio editing, sequencing, and/or tracking. I am not a programmer, and I know there are differences between X11 and Android's setup, but with programs like Ardour and Rosegarden for Linux, why can't someone adapt the relevant parts to Android? Even Audacity...

Advertisement
  2. braj

braj Well-Known Member

I agree. Stuff likes this makes me sort of wish I had an iPhone, maybe I'll get an iPad if Android doesn't improve in this regard. For what is supposed to be a more open poweruser experience the software selection is very meager.

3. personaleu

personaleu Member

Still waiting for a video editor for my HTC Desire! When do I get it? Or can I make easily the YouTube editor work from Desire?

4. baillou2

baillou2 Well-Known Member

Before that even, there should be a decent basic mp3 player. Player pro is quite good, but you have to pay for it (It should be bundled with the phone), and it doesn't do gapless playback. The iphone interface is still the best out there. It pains me to say such a thing.

In a nutshell one can say that Android is a VERY powerful OS with underwhelming, often badly managed apps.

5. Steve W

Steve W Member

No more posts on this since september? Blimey I know I couldnt do much with my htc hero, but ive got the galaxy s2 now and really looking for some pro apps... I use logic 9 pro on a mac and traktor so I know about touchosc but really looking for a daw on android now.

6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

There is an app called TouchDAW out there but I don't know how good it is.

Many of the audio controls didn't come to the API until Gingerbread. However there are some interesting projects in the works.

You can learn more here:
    http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ng-external-midi-instruments.html#post2604877

Also, with Google's recent announcement of the ADK/Arduino control/usb host features at Google IO, I suspect this is an area that will start to see a TON of activity.

hth.

7. radsboy

radsboy Well-Known Member

Any updates in this area since that last post? I am a new user but would be very pleased to be able to do basic audio editing on the go -

8. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Well-Known Member

I don't think you can call any audio software on a phone ''professional''. There are some simple DAWs available for iOS but I just don't see the appeal in them.

9. Android Wax

Android Wax Well-Known Member

UssjTrunks is right. The market just isn't there. Just the thought of professionally editing audio tracks on a tiny screen seems daunting. Plus the interface would be difficult to play with using fingers. Much easier with a descent size screen, mouse and keyboard. Tablets would be ok, but the sales of tablets just isn't there yet.