• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Probably a n00b question about installing.

dq9

Dec 26, 2010
I am still a noob about things on the Android so sorry if I'm not all there.

I was wondering if there is a way to install apps to my SD card without rooting my phone.

Also if I have to root my phone, will Verizon be able to see that I did and will they be mad about it?

You will need Android 2.2, don't know if the Ally has that yet. This will make your default location the SD card so everything from that point on will get installed there. And you'll want to watch that Widgets and Services get moved back to the phone. Those shouldn't run from the SD card.

How to Install Apps to the SD Card by Default on Android 2.2 Froyo | larsa | Androinica

Verizon or any other carrier doesn't care. It make no difference from their point of view.

Upvote 0
You will need Android 2.2, don't know if the Ally has that yet. This will make your default location the SD card so everything from that point on will get installed there.

To clarify for other new users, this is not correct.

Installation to SD card needs to be allowed by the app developer. I believe the option to install to SD card by default also depends on the app.

You should not assume all apps will install on the SD card. They won't.

Upvote 0
To clarify for other new users, this is not correct.

Installation to SD card needs to be allowed by the app developer. I believe the option to install to SD card by default also depends on the app.

You should not assume all apps will install on the SD card. They won't.[/QUOTE]

If you follow the link provided, you can see that you can indeed set the default install location to the SD card, provided you have performed the steps correctly and it will also permit moving older apps to the SD card that previously weren't able to be moved there.

That said, as with any "hacks", there are caveats. Widgets and active services should always be on the phone's internal memory to function correctly, so make sure they are installed there, or if not, you manually put them there.

You should also note that installing a great many apps to the SD card will make mounting and unmounting the SD card, and rebooting the phone take longer.

You should not assume all apps will install on the SD card. They won't.

This is partially correct. Some apps will only install to the phone's internal memory because they are written specifically to install there. However, those that simply look for the default location, which out of the box is the phone's internal memory, would then be installed to the SD card regardless of whether the dev enabled it or not.

Upvote 0
You will need Android 2.2, don't know if the Ally has that yet. This will make your default location the SD card so everything from that point on will get installed there.

I guess I misunderstood this part of your post. It looks like you are saying that Android 2.2 makes the default location the SD card (without any hacks needed).

Thanks for providing the link.

Upvote 0
I guess I misunderstood this part of your post. It looks like you are saying that Android 2.2 makes the default location the SD card (without any hacks needed).

Thanks for providing the link.

No, that's not it. With FroYo 2.2 Android can put apps on the SD card. By default, however, they are still installed to the phone's internal memory, although if the developer modifies the app they can be moved to the SD card under settings>applications>manage applications. If the developer does not modify the app then it will not show the button to move to SD. However, if you change the default location using the instructions in the link (no rooting required) then the default location becomes the SD card regardless of what the developer did or did not do. And, apps that previously did not show the button can now be moved to SD.

Upvote 0
Wow thanks for all the replies. Ok so here is my new question: Should I try to get Froyo on my phone or should I shoot for a custom firmware / rom. I used to hack PSP and we called it firmware so please forgive my android ignorance. Anyway are there custom roms that install to my SD by default and how do I chose the right one for me? Also once I flash the custom rom, is there a way to go back to the original Android OS?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones