Probably picking one of these up!General

Last Updated:

1. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Member This Topic's Starter

Well my "new every 2" with VZW is coming up Thursday and I im looking at a new phone. Currently using a BB Storm1, LOVE it, but I am a guy that loves new electronics.

What can you guys tell me about this phone? Tricks, tips, advice? I have been reading threads, and doing my homework.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

can't tell you more then what has already been posted.

3. Fairbanks

Looks like this phone is pretty sweet. Seems like it wont be a down grade from my Storm. Anyother BB users switch and what are your opinions?

4. Caddyman

i switched from a golden storm, it was perfect for a storm, never had a issue (serious)

i like the eris better.

5. Fairbanks

Golden Storm? whats that?

6. Caddyman

a regular storm, that works perfectly, i called it the golden storm, i surfed crackberry a lot and saw complaints out the wazoo but my phone was solid as a rock.

7. Fairbanks

I am in the same boat. My Storm is perfect. Never been bricked. Never had 1 issue with the screen. I've never even done a hard reset. And i've added apps, changed plenty of stuff around, ect. Hmm. Ok. Glad to hear a previous Storm user is happy with the change. Thanks.

8. mhrebin

mhrebin Well-Known Member

i switched from a moto q9c with windows mobile 6 or whatever. night and day difference.lol

9. mersh21

mersh21 Well-Known Member

I came form the Curve 8300, then the Tour, then the Storm2. I have to say that the Droid Eris is a great device. If you are a smartphone addict such as myself you will totally love the Android interface and OS much better than BB. And hopefully soon we will be seeing the 2.x OTA update.

10. Fairbanks

I came from the Moto Q, then the Storm, and would now be ther Eris. I've spent a lot of time messing with my dads, and I like it a lot. Thanks for the info guys.

11. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

My brother went from a bb to the eris and couldn't get used to the touchscreen kb so he went back to his bb. I'm coming from the env2 and I'm having trouble adjusting to the kb too. The eris is probably better for people with small/medium hands.

12. Fairbanks

Weird Zenman. I have abnormally large fingers, and my dad has even bigger ones. And both of us use the vertical keyboard with ease, and obviously way easier with the horizontal keyboard.

Question, is there anyway to get the phone to switch to horizontal with the standard bottons on the left?

13. smacky

smacky Banned

The Eris is kinda dated and you may want to reconsider and wait for a more recent product. If money is an issue, $79.99 for this thing isn't bad. But if you can hold off a bit longer, more powerful stiff is due by the end of April, or earlier.

Most will agree that this phone is neglected by anyone that is not its user, so if you are content with lack of updates and rehashed components, then it's a bargain phone. Otherwise, you get what you pay for, and it won't be a Nexus One.

14. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

i had a samsung omnia and then an env touch . . . neither one of those phones were as easy to use or as cool as this phone.

15. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

There is a better day coming tomorrow, and the day after. So you can go to sleep now and wake up tomorrow or enjoy the day you have today. I chose the latter and it's lovely out there. As for the phone, the feel of it is the best in the market and that means a lot to me. There are some that have issues with battery longevity and some with lag but you have a 30 day free trial, use it. I'm pretty sure 95% of the comments are positive so that seems like a good way to lean. Enjoy it.

16. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

While true, the same thing could be said by the end of April ... If you wat another 3 or 4 months something even better will be out. If you like the phone, buy it. If you dont, dont buy it. Dont take possible future phones into consideration or you will be waiting for ever.

17. Fairbanks

Thanks for the info fellas. I am gonna wait for the Nexus1. Just seems like a more powerful phone, with tons of support. While I don't think the Eris has a lack of it, I just forsee Google backing this phone up, being its their only dedicated phone.

18. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

By the end of April, the N1 will have been out for several months. Something new will be right around the corner. This is an ongoing process. It's impossible to stay up-to-date in technology. Also, the N1 has had its fair share of problems as well.

I came from a Samsung Omnia and there is no comparison. The Eris is 10x the phone.

19. Fairbanks

I agree. The electronics industry today is a fast pace one. Less then 6 months and its outdated. My Storm has been the best phone I've owned, and I've owned just about all of VZW's top phones.

I'll stick around to see what the N1 brings.

20. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

i had one of these phones, after day 2 i wanted to throw it out the window.

whats that new htc phone comin out soon for verizon? the incredible?

21. jjr1968

jjr1968 Well-Known Member

Like walkin' down the beach lookin' at the babes, endless stream of new hot stuff. I don't know if there has been a DRAMATIC change in support for the N1, but, I've read there is major conflicts as to WHO provides support (Google,HTC,TM).

22. Slewman

Slewman Well-Known Member

Fairbanks, I wouldnt recommend getting the Eris if it is time for you to upgrade. I just got the Eris coming from a Storm 1 as well, and i do love the phone, but I only got it because my brother upgraded to the droid and did the BOGO Free, so i got the eris for free without having to use an upgrade.

If i had an upgrade i would either wait for the N1 or go with the Moto Droid. Both are much better than the Eris and will be able to keep up with new updates and such because their hardware is much better.

23. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Love my eris. The system will only get better in time.

24. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I love my Eris, but if I were you I'd wait a couple months and check out the N1 and Incredible