• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem booting HTC Desire HD after Fact Reset

Bugsy1957

Lurker
Apr 22, 2011
Hi All - I have googled this and cant find a match so here goes.

I was running a custom rom on my VF HTC Desire HD and all was well. I then decided (because I was getting a new phone) to do a factory reset and after this it would not boot. It comes up with the standard Green on White HTC screen and then a black screen appears with only the word "Android" on it. I think I have managed to attach a picture of the screen in question!

Any idea what causes this and if it can be fixed how it can be done?

For good measure the volume control is lost but when it was working that didn;t stop me using the custom rom manager as I was able to use the touch buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Attachments

• android.jpg
    android.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 41
Ah... ok... I hadn't realised that this was a long term problem!

Another member has been having an issue where the phone was stuck in a bootloop and his volume buttons were not working (sounds like they were stuck as depressed)... he was able to get the volume buttons working again by carefully pull the volume keys up using (what sounds like) a tooth pick (here is his thread - http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...entering-into-boot-loader-directly-power.html)... it could be that your volume buttons are stuck.

Just take care if you do decide to do the same as the other member ;)

Upvote 0
Oh... right... hadn't understood that!

How long have you had the phone... the volume control missing is definitely a hardware issue and I would imagine that you should be able to get it repaired/replaced by your carrier.

How did it happen that the volume control is missing?

The phone was in a holder in the car and when I took it out one day the battery over nd the volume control came off (I didn't realise the volume control had come off at the time)

Tbh I think it will e a chargeable reapsir so may just sell t as broken but thanks fr your help

I was just curious to know what the phone was trying to do when the word "android" was on the screen - apart from boot obviously !

Upvote 0
if im understanding the first post correctly,you attempted to just do a factory reset(data wipe) of your custom rom.

have you rebooted this phone before? if so,is that screen part of what you normally see after the splash screens?

to me,that looks like part of the boot animation for AOSP gingerbread.

to get us started:
1)how did you reset? using an option in the phones menu,or using the "wipe data/factory reset" option in a custom recovery?
2)are you still able to get into hboot(power+vol down from powered off)? if so,list all the info that you see there
3)are you still able to get to a custom recovery by selecting "recovery" from hboot?

i realize your volume rocker is missing,but you may be able to access the lil micro buttons that the rocker contacts with a pencil,toothpic,paperclip,or some other creative,skinny object :)

if you cant acccess the micro buttons and get to hboot/recovery,then the last options will involve some commands in a "cmd" window. do you have adb/android skd set up,and have any experience using it?

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones