• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem connecting broken phone via USB

andy_48

May 20, 2010
I suspect I'm in the soup but am ever hopeful......

1. Broke screen on HTC Legend (Phone A). I can tell there is some functinality (it switches on, charges, vibrates, and I believe touch screen still active) but the screen is completely blank.

2. Bought replacement Legend (Phone B) off ebay. This is now fully functional. I have recovered everything important except SMS messages. Foolishly, I thought these were automatically backed up by Android v2.2 to the SD card and now wish I'd done it myself. You live and learn!

3. I'm pretty sure I have the resources to extract the data from Phone A using ADB within developers' SDK tools. However, my PC does not recognise the device when plugged in to USB. Clearly this is a showstopper.

4. There's no problem with PC recognising Phone B. I've also tried a different USB cable and all the USB ports on my PC.

I expect that if USB won't work, I've got no chance. Anybody out there got any bright ideas?

Bump.

Please, can anyone tell me:

1. Is there a way to get the USB working if the phone screen is cracked/blank? Or:

2. Is there any way to recover my SMS messages without USB?

When I send the phone off for repair (very soon!) they will almost certainly do a factory reset then all we be lost for sure!

Upvote 0
1. Is there a way to get the USB working if the phone screen is cracked/blank?

Depends, if the digitizer is broke, then it wont accept any touch input. If the digitizer is ok and just the lcd is broken, you should be able to touch just like before, however you obviously wont be able to see what you are touching. You could use the second phone right next to the old one, so you can kind of see what you should be touching to get the phone to connect.

2. Is there any way to recover my SMS messages without USB?

The only way to recover them without usb is by using the screen, in which case see above answer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones