Problem connecting to campus wifiGeneral

Last Updated:

1. baarak

baarak New Member This Topic's Starter

Ever since flashing the 2.1 leaks (V1 and then V2), I have not been able to connect to my university's WPA2-enterprise wireless network.

After I enter my login info (the network uses PEAP with MSCHAPv2, so it doesn't need any certificates), the phone connects as expected and gets a valid IP address, verifiable with netcfg. Before any traffic is allowed to pass to the outside world, however, the device connecting has to go to an authentication page in a browser. When I attempt to go to that page, I get an error titled "Data Connectivity Problem" that states "A secure connection could not be established" which only presents an option to acknowledge the error. Since I can't load that authentication page, the network is entirely unusable. I did not encounter this problem with 1.5, but since I'm running the V2 leak, reverting is not an option.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? I can't identify if the problem is in the actual link not being established properly (seems unlikely, as the phone is given an IP address, but perhaps the PEAP layer is having some sort of issue?) or if it has to do with the SSL certificates used for the network authentication page (they're signed, but I'm fairly certain that the name if the site they're signed for is not the name that they've given the new auth server). Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. rycheme

rycheme Well-Known Member

I am on 2.1 v2 and have an open corporate network that has a re-direct to a login page that has known certificate issues. The re-direct takes a really long time, but after awhile it finally tells me that there are problems with the security certificate and I have the option to continue, view, or cancel. Upon choosing continue, it takes me to the login page without an issue.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I thought I'd give it a run for you.

3. smacky

smacky Banned

Dude, Auburn's WiFi blows. I dunno what the deal is with Tsunami, but I think it has to do with the fact that it logs us out every so often, and if you turn your phone off, it resets your login info.

iPhone users have directions to use VPN, which I am not familiar with at all, but it seems to work for them. Also, if you want to access TigerMail, you can receive mail, but I don't think you can send mail. This was listed on instructions for the iPhone as they think that's the only mobile OS out there. For Android it may be different, but a workaround is to use the incoming server "tigerin.auburn.edu" and then enter in your login information. Then, for outgoing, use "smtp.gmail.com" and for that username and password, use your GMail log in info. Now you can send and receive email flawlessly while on campus and not have to worry about the aforementioned problem about not receiving them while on WiFi. Or, you use 3G which is awesome in science wings where I'm mostly at. Haley may be a bitch as will be Parker.

I say this because I know you'll run into this problem once you're set with WiFi. Just letting you know the workaround because the manatees they use to select troubleshooting answers in the IT department (a la South Park) will not tell you this and simply say you can't do it.

4. baarak

baarak New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I've been using the gmail trick since they stopped allowing off campus access to tigerout, but Android's built in mail client and anything else that uses non-http ports still won't connect when you're connected to tsunami - for some reason, it only allows traffic on certain ports (80, 443, and 22, I think). They're going to start phasing tsunami out after this semester, though, so I've been trying to get it working with AU_WiFi, which is where the problems are coming from. I tried talking to one of the guys in OIT about it, but I don't think he had a clue what I was even talking about.

Unfortunately, I don't get the option to let the browser give me the warning about certificates - it throws the data connectivity problem error as soon as it tries to load the auth page. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

5. smacky

smacky Banned

So 3G is not an option? I get full bars so battery draining shouldn't be too bad. I don't carry a backpack on campus so I wouldn't carry a charger around, but maybe you should it you're out of the house all day.

Off topic, but it's a good thing I didn't see Taylor Swift the other day. Good for her. :cool:

6. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

here's an idea, there is different grades of wifi b,g,n and maybe your school wifi is "n"

i don't think the eris connects to "n"