• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem copy files from the Ascend P2

I was initially pleased with my Huawei Ascend P2, but slowly it has revealed itself as a rather mediocre device. The Emotion UI is really low-level, among other things. But I guess I get what I pay for...

My current specific problem is copying files from the phone to my W7-machine. When I connect the phone I get asked if I want to use MTP or PTP, and of course selecting PTP only shows me the camera and picture files, nothing else, so this is useless.

Selecting MTP, W7 recognizes the phone, and things look good, I can browse the file system on the phone. But when I try to copy, say an xml-file, from the phone to the comp, a 0-sized file with the same name is created on the HD, and then Explorer just stands there showing its "Copying" dialog. Nothing else happens. If I click "Cancel" the "Canceling..." dialog appears and the progress bar rolls, but nothing else happens.

What am I doing wrong?
Am I not supposed to be able to copy arbitrary files from the phone using MTP?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones