• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem disabling system write protection

BadReligion

Jun 10, 2011
I recently rooted my HTC Desire 816, and the last step was to install something called wp_mod.ko. Apparently this is what makes it possible to actually uninstall crapware on your phone. I would love to disable the write protection because the reason I rooted my phone in the first place is to get rid of a lot of that crapware. Well, I can't seem to get it on my phone. The instructions say to copy the file to your phone, and input the following command into the terminal:
su
insmod /location-where-you-copied-it/wp_mod.ko

I'm doing something wrong, because every single time I write out the command and submit it, I get a message saying "failed to exec format error"

This is an improvement from the "not found" error I was getting before. So, can anyone help me figure this out, or provide an alternative method for getting the write protection removed from the phone?

I know this thread isn't specifically for your device, but it seems very close to what you're asking about:

This module will disable system write protection on the stock HTC One kernel.

To make /system writeable, you must install the module and then remount /system as rw.

For example:

insmod /system/lib/modules/wp_mod.ko
mount -o remount,rw /system

You can make an init.d script to load it, or add it to the boot.img. Either way will work, but it's important that this is loaded at boot, as attempting to make changes to /system and then installing this module could corrupt the partition.

This is mainly for devs, who are free to incorporate it into their ROMs.
Unless you are an advanced user, I would wait for it to be included in your favourite ROM.

So, you really shouldn't be trying to run that command on a live, running device, but rather at boot time as indicated.

Also, you're not using "/location-where-you-copied-it" for the prefix directory path to the wp_mod.ko file are you? It would be something similar to what is listed above (but may be different for your specific device).

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Call me a simpleton but since you are rooted, why not use Root Explorer (file browsing app) to change the /system write status and remove the /system "crapware" from your device? Or perhaps use titanium backup?
Now granted I know very little of that device, but since it's rooted, that in-and-of-itself should allow you to remove said "crapware".
??? maybe? :D

Or maybe that whole question just went right past me :p

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Call me a simpleton but since you are rooted, why not use Root Explorer (file browsing app) to change the /system write status and remove the /system "crapware" from your device? Or perhaps use titanium backup?
Now granted I know very little of that device, but since it's rooted, that in-and-of-itself should allow you to remove said "crapware".
??? maybe? :D

Or maybe that whole question just went right past me :p

I replace the filler with where the file is actually located. Also, I do use titanium, but my problem is that when I uninstall them, they come right back. Same with freezing them. For me, it's crucial to uninstall some of this crap because this phone only has 8 gb internal and I can only put so many apps on my SD. Could you elaborate on the Root Explorer method you mentioned? I fear that wouldn't work either given that the issue is the write protection that won't let me uninstall anything.

Upvote 0
Stock kernel? Not on AT&T? Emphasis mine below in the quote:

I have just checked to see if it would be compatible and compiled it against A3UL 1.31.401.3 kernel source. It has been tested to load and work fine with all but the latest at&t kernel (as I don’t have a copy of the latest at&t kernel to test it with but I think it should work for it as well).

This is only for stock kernels only and is of no use if you are running JMZ kernel. It will allow you to keep you stock kernel (for better compatibility across regional rom versions) but same as JMZ kernel it allows you to modify the system partition and install mods and fixes that will stick through a reboot without having to do them through recovery.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@BadReligion, there are some devices that modifying the /system (and other) partitions just won't "stick" and remounting /system to read/write mode (if you even can) won't work--which is I'm guessing is the reason for the wp_mod you're trying to install.

This post over on stackoverflow.com (generally) indicates the error you're getting is related to a signature/version mismatch.

I'm thinking it might be best to move your thread over to the HTC Desire 816 root area and let those that are familiar (of which I am not) with your device help you best. Perhaps the guys over there might know specifically if you can install that module or how to accomplish what you want to do.

Let us know if you want us to...

Upvote 0
@BadReligion, there are some devices that modifying the /system (and other) partitions just won't "stick" and remounting /system to read/write mode (if you even can) won't work--which is I'm guessing is the reason for the wp_mod you're trying to install.

This post over on stackoverflow.com (generally) indicates the error you're getting is related to a signature/version mismatch.

I'm thinking it might be best to move your thread over to the HTC Desire 816 root area and let those that are familiar (of which I am not) with your device help you best. Perhaps the guys over there might know specifically if you can install that module or how to accomplish what you want to do.

Let us know if you want us to...

If you think moving it over will be more beneficial, by all means. I'll give Mike's other suggestion a try and see how that goes. This is embarrassing, but I'm a noob after all. I just want some space! Lol.

Upvote 0
If you think moving it over will be more beneficial, by all means. I'll give Mike's other suggestion a try and see how that goes. This is embarrassing, but I'm a noob after all. I just want some space! Lol.

Not embarrassing at all--you're actually dealing with a non-straightforward issue, IMO. Hopefully there is a straightforward solution, though :).

Lemme get you moved over to the root area for your device...Mike and I will still be following along with you.

Cheers and best of luck! :)

edit: LOL/eek...looks like Mike must have already moved us ;).

Upvote 0
It sounds like you are running Lollipop. If so, you will need to use this method instead.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/des...-disable-writeprotection-sense-stock-t3091456

If you are still running KitKat, then you need to use this mod.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/desire-816/development/mod-enable-init-d-stock-kernel-vm-t2987126

I have the Virgin Mobile variant and have successfully used both mods. As a side note, uninstalling bloatware will not give you any more available storage for apps. The preinstalled apps reside in a different partition than the user apps. At this point, your best bet is to install link2sd or foldermount and use your sd card for more app storage.

Edit: The issue the OP is having is due to the HTC S-On protection. The system write protected by default and is really a pain to gain permanent R/W permissions for both the system and SD Card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Found this if you are on LL:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/des...ense-stock-t3091456/post60319883#post60319883

I really gotta go to bed...my eyes are heavy, so be sure to read through that and double check my findings;)
I'll check back tomorrow unless Scary found something or perhaps someone here will chime in :)

So far, so good with this file! I've been able to successfully uninstall things (finally) with no reboots or forced reinstallations. One odd thing I've noticed: when Titanium gets granted SU access, the files aren't able to be uninstalled. Once I denied it access, everything came off smoothly. Odd. But thank you all for all of your help, I hope this is a long-term fix! You guys are awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones