problem dowloading roms?

1. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

I am on a replacement x and rooted but I am having downloading errors when trying to download roms from this and other sites. Any ideas why?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Well, you didn't say exactly what errors you were getting...

If you are using the stock browser and have Astro File Manager installed, launch Astro, press menu key -> More -> Preferences -> Enable Browser Downloads (checkbox). Now, return to the stock browser and retry your download. Be sure to return to Astro and uncheck the above setting after you are done.

As an alternative, you can use another browser like Opera Mini which I have found to be trouble-free when downloading files.

One final thought, its always a good idea to check the file's size and MD5 checksum after downloading to compare it with the published source's information so that you know that you have a complete and uncorrupted copy of the file. This is especially true of things you might flash like ROMs and update.zip files (I've heard that ClockworkMod does not do a signature check on files to be flashed by default).

You can use Astro (long-press filename and select details) or my app, AFV (Android File Verifier) [free in the Market] to display a file's MD5 sum and more. My AFV app will also do a "jarsigner -verify" type check via its "Verify Jar-type File" function.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
    twistedlim likes this.
  3. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I had problems with the stock browser as well, always gave me download errors when I tried to download Z4Root and other such programs. Redownloading them with 'Dolphin HD Browser' always worked for me. 'Opera Mini' probably will as well. Just pick one and leave the stock browser alone. It sucks.
    twistedlim likes this.
  4. twistedlim

Thanks for all your help. I was using the stock browser. The error was simply "download failed".
    I installed dolphin and the download went through.

What I cannot understand is that I was able to download roms on the stock browser on my prevous X that I picked up a month ago. Stuff like this drives me crazy with motorola.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Try the tip with Astro for the stock browser...(I can't remember who clued me into that, otherwise I would cite/thank him/her again--it really does work, but you have to remember to change it back so it won't goober-up Gmail, etc.).

Cheers!
    twistedlim likes this.
  6. twistedlim

Thanks will give it a try. You are correct about checking the file size, especially with roms. I tend to download most roms to my computer and then move them to my sd card for speed and it also gives me a backup of the rom. I have lots of roms on my computer :)