Problem downloading email from Comcast

Last Updated:

1. dnorton

dnorton Member This Topic's Starter

Downloading email from my comcast.net account was working fine - then for some unknown reason it no longer does. If I tap on the folders, the inbox shows that there are the correct number of emails sitting in my inbox on the comcast server, but they never download to the droid.

I've tried removing the account and adding it back, same issue. It never gets past loading messages.

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

What are you using for the email app?

3. dnorton

The one that came with the droid from Verizon.

4. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

You may want to check your sync settings for the general "Phone Settings" along with Account settings. Make sure sync is active and allowed, as well as background data.

5. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member

I am having this same issue right now. I was getting my Comcast email with no problem when I first got my Droid but for some reason its stuck on LOADING MESSAGES with the gear icon spinning around. I sat down to my computer and saw I had 6 unread emails sitting there but there was none on my phone. I checked to make sure SYNC was active and allowed and checked Background Data but I am still having this issue.

Anything else I could try?

6. Chuck1906

I just turned my phone off for a few minutes and then turned it back on and a bunch of emails popped up on the screen so I am not sure if you've tried that yet.

7. aluminum

aluminum Member

Is there any way one can set up their droid so that whenever you get a comcast.net email you get a notification on ur droid? Similar to gmail.

8. Chuck1906

go into your settings under your Comcast email and turn your notifications on. I had mine on at first but I get so many emails during the course of a day that I turned mine off.

9. spitfire

spitfire Member

Having the same problem. Verizon suggests that the problem is with Comcast servers. Contacted Comcast and the were no help.

10. bamadroid2

bamadroid2 New Member

I thought my email was working fine with comcast too. Suddenly today it stopped communicating. It will go hours without communicating. Even then, I have to turn off the phone to make it start working again. Some emails will open, others wont. I cant find a solution after working on it for hours. I have used almost every PDA available at some point over the years and this is frustrating.:mad:

Itsokman likes this.
  11. dnorton

I ended up dragging the "comcast" icon to the trash (gray box at the bottom) and setting up comcast again. So far, after several weeks including a couple of trips to other states the second time has been a charm.

Also remember that if you use outlook or some other pop email app on your home PC, that it could be screwing you up too. I use outlook, which is configured to download my email from comcast and delete the email from the comcast server. The droid only downloads the message header, not the whole email until you tell it too (by tapping on the email message). Between receiving the header on the droid and your tapping on it if the PC downloads the email and deletes it on the comcast server - the email message itself is gone.

Bottom line, you need to leave your email application on your home PC off unless your sitting in front of it.

Itsokman likes this.
  12. Itsokman

Itsokman New Member

Verizon store reps shrugged their shoulders and said they always have problems with comcast on their phones and blackberrys.

Motorola technical assistance is offshore and reps are hard to understand....no help there!

Sometimes I get my emails, most times I don't.

13. kfarny

kfarny New Member

Those guys are full of it. My comcast e-mail works flawlessly on my curve. I have never lost one message. I am looking at the Incredible, but if e-mail is less than stellar I will stick with a BB device.

14. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

I have Comcast and have never had a problem except when Comcast was down. The Droid has worked flawlessly with my email.

15. Lavendergrey

Lavendergrey New Member

Hi all,
    I have read through most of this thread, and realized that I have some of the problems some you have. My comcast.net email was working just fine for the last few months, except for repeatedly downloading deleted emails. A few weeks ago, it began having problems...not downloading emails, or taking a very long time "loading". Now, for some reason, I am receiving emails on my Droid that are from one party, yet when I open the email up the body of the email is from someone totally different, and sent months ago, and deleted months ago! So apparently my emails are somehow being combined and confused and I am very unhappy about this. :mad: Not to mention that today my email app continually failed and I had to force close it.

Not sure why this would suddenly start happening, after months of basically good email usage. I hesitate to call either Verizon or Comcast, because I have heard all their excuses before...which lean towards blaming the other guy. I would like SOMEONE to take responsibility for this, even if they have to say they can't figure out why it is happening.

Anyone have any ideas? Or words of wisdom for me?

Thanks!!

16. DroidDO

DroidDO Well-Known Member

This happened to me (emails subjects, from, and body getting mixed up). Its not just comcast, something happens to the email data on the phone. If you delete the account from your droid (from email> accounts>long press on the account you want to delete) and then restart the phone and re-add the accounts it should clear up the issue.

17. Chuck1906

I added K-9 email about 2 weeks ago and have it synced to my Comcast email inbox. Works like a charm! Very happy with K-9 over the pre installed email app that comes with the phone.

18. sfbill

sfbill New Member

There is something wrong with the application's cache memory. Go to settings - manage applications - select the mail app - clear cache. I also stop the app for good measure. Return to email and see if it's fixed. I think the issue just comes up over time.

19. boomerzoomer

boomerzoomer New Member

I took my second droid back to Verizon this weekend, again complaining about problems with Comcast e-mails. After doing some "research", the clerk eventually just shrugged his shoulders and said there is no fix for the problem. He said that none of their droid phones would work well with Comcast. He suggested that I could change my e-mail provider, or power the phone off-on to check for new e-mails, or switch to a Blackberry, which he was happy to sell to me. I asked him if they are warning customers who have Comcast that their new droid e-mail function won't work well. He just smiled...

20. dbrookes

dbrookes Active Member

I've had Comcast for years and used various phones and other remote access methods with the for that time. Comcast has semi-regular outages to clients outside of comcast.net domains. I've had this problem with palm os, windows mobile, android and windows xp, and linux. Comcast ususally gets there stuff together in around 4 hours or so.

When these outages occur for me, they happen for any device not connecting through my home router. I've verified simultaneous outages on my droid, my wifes droid and my netbook, so I don't think the problem is with android or the droid.

Comcast has the worst service and customer service of any company I've ever used. It once took a comcast tech 8 hours to replace a dead cable box with a newer (not new) one of the same model. I figure the periodic outages are just par for the comcast course.
    --D.