Problem getting SuperUser permissions

Last Updated:

1. wolfe1177

wolfe1177 Member This Topic's Starter

I've paged through the forums here and can't find a problem similar to mine. I've had my phone rooted for a while, but over the past month or so I have not been able to do anything that requires SuperUser permissions. This includes ROM Manager, SetCPU, Titanium Backup, etc. I've tried rebooting into Clockwork recovery and I can't. I've tried booting the phone up by holding down x and holding down the camera and down button and then attempting to re-install "update.zip," but that always says aborted. I also tried doing one of the one click root/unroot apps and that wasn't able to work either.

So, is this a common problem? I'm not even currently running a custom rom, I decided to use stock 2.2 but I made sure to leave it with root. I really want to try using CyanogenMod again and be able to overclock, because my phone definitely runs faster than when it isn't. Any help would be awesome, because I'd rather not have to wipe my phone and start from scratch because I'd be worried my backup might not work properly with something other than Titanium.

Advertisement
  2. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

do you have the superuser icon in the tray? Is it the little ninja guy or the android crossbones one? Have you gone into it and gave these apps(rom manager, setcpu) permissions so you can use them?

3. wolfe1177

Yeah, the ninja is still there, but there are no permissions there to turn on and off like there used to be

4. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

what methods did you use for rooting your phone?

5. wolfe1177

Oh I rooted it way back. Like around December of last year. The old school method of rebooting into recovery mode, installing update.zip, etc.

6. istolvampire

You can't get into recovery at all? or is it you get the stock(!) recovery?

If you can get into recovery and it is the stock (!) recovery then you can manually load a recovery like sprecovery or clockwork.

If you can get into recovery and it is sprecovery or clockwork but when you try to install custom rom it says aborted make sure you do a wipe data/cache first. I usually do wipe three times before trying a new rom. If it still says aborted try to install the rom again right away a couple times because it always aborts me at least twice before a new rom takes on my phone but once it does I am good to go. Been that way from day one with my phone.

If you properly backed up then you need not worry about wiping.

ps. can you get into bootloader screen? power + up on d-pad

7. wolfe1177

I can only get into stock recovery. No clockwork. But pretty much anything I try to do from stock recovery results in an abort message.

8. androidlover14

androidlover14 Well-Known Member

then you will pretty much have to root again using the rsd lite program. Its way easier than finding a way to deal with that horrid stock recovery.

9. istolvampire

What they said^

10. wolfe1177

Where do I get RSD lite? Is it an app?

11. y2thrasher

y2thrasher Active Member

Check Here. Its in the sticky in the top of the forum.

12. wolfe1177

Only problem for me being that I have a Mac, and apparently the two methods listed there are only Windows and Linux compatible. Is there any way to re-root on a Mac?