• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem moving apps to SD memory

whittall1

May 31, 2010
Hi,
Since moving to Froyo I have noticed a problem.
There are only a few apps at the moment that you are able to move to the SD card and I have noticed that when you I do move the app my internal memory does not increase back up.

eg: say i have 110mb free internal memory and I install a 10mb app knocking internal down to 100mb if I "move app to SD card" it does transfer but my internal is still 100mb.

Am i being completely stupid and missing something or have any of you guys had a similar prob?

i have the same problem, i think the majority of the apps on the market do not have froyo a2sd compatability, therefore they install to the internal memory and even when you do move one over, unless its more than a couple mb of space you wont notice a difference, install google earth, look at the inrternal memory, then move to sd and see the difference, I think we just have to wait for developers to get on board with a2sd, or google make it a rule that they have to have support for it, because its quite annoying when you have a great feature and cant use it.

Upvote 0
I'll second the request for help with this.

I was going to wait for the official 2.2 as I really need to be able to install to SD. However, it seems like a stupid way of doing things to have to install the internal mem and then copy over to SD. Is there any logic behind that? I guess I'm still harking back to the great way this is implemented in Symbian.

If this is an issue without a fix on the horizon, I'm just going to root and use apps2sd instead.

Upvote 0
Its not a problem moving the apps over. The real problem is that it does not free the internal memory up, rendering the sd storage pointless.
Can't believe that it's a bug, must be to do with the developer signing the apps storage path.
Also why out of all of Googles apps is it only Google SkyMap that is able to transfer to sd card (albeit while still residing on the internal memory)?
You would think that their apps out of everybodys would be the first to take advantage of the 2.2 sd feature.

Upvote 0
1) internal memory is not updated in realtime
2) internal memory is not just used for app installs. Other apps use this space as a cache.
3) only a portion of the app is moved to SD. Parts must remain internal to function

But yes, Googles implementaction of apps2SD is poorly thought through. Appssd+ (rooted version) is far superior.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones