• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem moving files onto folders

cc1995

Lurker
Apr 8, 2010
My issue revolves around trying to use apps like the default files app preinstalled on the Droid X, Astro File Manger, or Estrong File Explorer. For some reason when I move files from folder to folder or copy and paste files into different folders the actual files appear to be there but when I go into the actual applications where the files should be they aren't there.

Example: I had put a few self made ringtones and notifications onto my SD Card via the USB cable that came with the droid from my computer to my Droid X. I made a seperate Media folder on the Card and put sub folders in that like I was supposed to. All the correct files appeared where they should once I disconnected and looked on my phone. New ringtones were in the ringtone directory through accessing them through settings, notifications where there, etc. Now when I try moving one of my ringtones into my notifications folder via, Astro file manager or Estrong File Explorer or the files app that came with the Droid X is moves the files into the folder and you can see it moved by actually viewing it in the folder you just moved it to. But when I go into my settings, notifications tones and look for the file I just moved there...it's not there for me to select, but it is when I look at my file manager. I've tried this in the music folder, ringtone folder and notifications folder and they don't appear in the actual applications where I moved them to, but they appear in the file manager as being there. Am I doing something wrong. I don't understand why this is happening.

Help!!!!

I had this happen too, you have to un-mount and re-mount the SD card. It scans the file structure only then. So I plugged it into my computer as mass storage, and then removed it from the computer, and it displays a little message in the notification about readying the SD card, and then the apps will fine all of the files again.

Incidentally it is way easier to move files around when its a mass storage device on the computer than it is with any app on the phone, in my opinion anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones