• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root problem rooting LG

DavyJ

Apr 18, 2015
Ok, so my first thread got NO response, I'm going to try a new one.

I've been trying for two weeks to root my LG Enact (Verizon branded), with no luck. This is not the most popular phone out there, but I like my QWERTY keyboard, I can't help it. It's an 8GB phone, the stock ROM is KitKat, it's a capable little device. So I'm going to keep at it until I find a solution.

Unfortunately, I've tried just about every tethered and untethered method out there, and nothing is working. The root-by-adb scripts run into a brick wall if they boot the phone into recovery, because the phone refuses to communicate that way, the computer says "Device not recognized" once recovery starts. The ones that use Download Mode get a little further, but they never complete the process. There are several apk methods that claim to be able to root without the adb connection, like framaroot, towelroot, kingoroot, etc., but none of these works either. I think I've tried them all. (And I'm going to have to do some hefty virus-scanning on my computer, after all the shady places I've wound up, from following bogus links while looking.)

The phone's stock ROM seems to have been set up with an extra layer of security which most devices don't have, which is one problem. We all know the "Allow installation of apps from unknown sources" option in the Security menu; mine also has a choice below it to "Disallow or warn before installation of apps that may cause harm", which of course I leave UN-checked. In Developer Options, grouped with USB Debugging, there is another "option" to "Verify apps over USB -- Check apps installed via ADB/ADT for harmful behavior", which is automatically checked when Debugging is enabled, but the "option" is grayed out and cannot be changed. So it's likely that NO tethered method will ever root this phone, because anything I attempt to install that way will be flagged as "harmful behavior".

Sorry this is growing so long, but you need to know what I've already explored, which explains my next question: there MAY be a way to run a root exploit directly from the phone, if I can find a way to manually place the file (such as the zipped ioroot exploit) in a folder which recovery can access, and this is where I'm asking for help. The stock recovery has two other selectable options, besides "Apply update from ADB" (which is where "kk_root.zip" would be sideloaded, if the phone didn't stop communicating here) -- there is also "Apply update from cache", and "Apply update from external storage". I already have the appropriate file on the SD card, but when I try that option, the phone says it "Cannot mount SD card, no CSI structures installed", or something like that... which renders the SD unusable during recovery. If I look at the "Apply from cache" selection, it gives me four choices, which are "backup/", "fota/", "lost+found/", and "recovery/". The problem here is, none of those "cache" folders are in a location I can access... they must be in a system partition which I can't even see, without root.

So if anyone has ANY thoughts on this -- either how to force the phone to leave the SD mounted during recovery, or how to move a file to an invisible partition -- would be greatly appreciated.

I know nothing about your specific device but do know a thing or two about LG. If your phone was rootable on previous firmware versions, and if kdz's are readily available for your device, you can likely downgrade back to a rootable version. At minimum, towelroot should work if you can find a firmware version that predates the patch.

Also, if you haven't tried it yet, you might give Stump Root a try. No promises on that. But I can at least say that is a clean, trustable root solution for some LG's.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
has anybody here heard abt iroot???because i belive that as long as it is an android device it is rootable....
now lemme go to d point..
concerning the device not recognized... have you tried installing the phone drivers?? have you tried iroot.apk or iroot.exe (pc version) have you tried root genius??(pc version) have you tried srs root??? (pc version....) i think if you try dose ones.. you shouldnt have a problem.. i think dese shud help....

Upvote 0
has anybody here heard abt iroot???because i belive that as long as it is an android device it is rootable....
now lemme go to d point..
concerning the device not recognized... have you tried installing the phone drivers?? have you tried iroot.apk or iroot.exe (pc version) have you tried root genius??(pc version) have you tried srs root??? (pc version....) i think if you try dose ones.. you shouldnt have a problem.. i think dese shud help....

All of those don't work well with newer LG devices, especially ones running Lollipop. I'm not just saying that out of my head. Go look over at xda-developers if you don't believe me. That's why I linked to the newer method above that's been proven to work. :)

Upvote 0
All of those don't work well with newer LG devices, especially ones running Lollipop. I'm not just saying that out of my head. Go look over at xda-developers if you don't believe me. That's why I linked to the newer method above that's been proven to work. :)

I've tried ioroot. I've tried SRS Root. I've tried Kingo Root. I've tried Root Genius. I've tried MobileGo. I've tried the "One-Click Root" method from XDA. I've tried Stump Root (cute). I've tried Towel Root (racist?). I've tried a manual method I found on YouTube. I've tried combinations of the most promising pieces of each. I've tried switching USB cables. I've tried switching computers. I've tried standing on my head. And while I, too, have always been of the belief that any Android device should be rootable, apparently there is no method that works (at least, reliably) for the VS-890... or none that anybody wants to bother helping me find (see above). And according to some, I should just just give up and accept that.

So I guess I have the only unrootable Android phone on the planet. Maybe I should sell tickets.

Reactions: Texas Tornado 63
Upvote 0
No sir...i do believe your wrong darlin lol i have posted on at least 5 diff. tech forums including xda requesting info about rooting my device and failed to elicit one response..information regarding this phone is slim to nada...i acquired this little beauty one year ago last week ...LG Optimus Dynamic F5 LTE 4G 4.1.2 AS870...warranty is done, my tech guy at cellcom informed me that no software updates will be available....if ya'll have any suggestions i sure enough would appreciate them...thank ya kindly and have yourselves a fine day !!

Upvote 0
I should add that I eventually DID find an app which rooted the phone for me, compliments of our friends over at xda. (I'd completely forgotten about this forum, given the official blow-off I got, earlier.) The file you're after is NewKingrootV4.50_C120_B220_xda_release_2015_07_22_105243.apk
and you should be able to search it out over there. I downloaded it from that site and copied it onto the phone. It runs as a standalone app (no PC connection), and does the job in about 3 minutes -- verifiable by independent root-checker apps, and the ability to install root-only apps and uninstall stock crapware. If you happen to have this phone, or another stubborn model, you may want to give it a try.

Reactions: Texas Tornado 63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones