Problem sending texts over 160 charactersSupport

1. asfastpitch2009

asfastpitch2009 Well-Known Member

i can't send texts over 160 characters. they won't send out at all... idk how to fix this?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

You don't, "fix," it. 160 characters is the maximum for text messages in general. You can get any phone on any carrier and you're very unlikely to find one that doesn't have this limit. It's just sort of how it has always been. It's how SMS is set up in general. I imagine this is where, "custom," acronyms started to appear. You can Google around if you don't believe me.

Send an e-mail if you need more room. You can send text messages via e-mail using XXXXXXXXXX@vtext.com and PIX/FLIX messages by sending to XXXXXXXXXX@vzwpix.com. It will send the message to the phone number that you specify in the address and they can reply to the e-mail you used to send the message.
    asfastpitch2009 and urdaddi like this.
  3. asfastpitch2009

asfastpitch2009 Well-Known Member

for some reason i just don't remember it happening or haven't sent a long message in a while lol i just didn't know what the deal was when i tried to send a long message an it wouldn't send.
  4. badchevy

badchevy Member

Some phones send texts over 160 characters as 2 text messages which I am suprised a smart phone like the X doesn't do.
  5. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

If you send it as a Pix message I believe you have as many characters as you want.
  6. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

There are some apps in the market that will split an sms that is over 160 characters into 2 or more messages
  7. 4n4c0nd4

4n4c0nd4 Member

I'm not sure what issues you guys have but my Droid X sends messages over 160 characters without any problems. If the recipient doesn't have a smartphone they receive the message in two or more parts depending on the amount of characters I use.
  8. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

@4n4c0nd4: Tell us specifically what kind of message you are sending, what application you are using, and as many other specifics that you can think of that I did not already mention.
  9. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Mine also sends messages over 160 characters without any issues. I just tested in ChompSMS as well as the default messaging client. No issues. After you get over 160 characters it shows that you are on message 2 instead of 1 but it keeps going without issue. Verizon internally supports EMS and any other Verizon phone that supports it will get your message as one message. If it's going to another carrier Verizon now automatically splits the message at 160 characters and send it as multiple messages so they receive the whole thing.
  10. I'm having this problem too. Like Brain said when you go over 160 it shows your on message /2, and when I send it seems to go out just fine, but my friend is receiving jibberish characters. Using stock DX Text Messages link at bottom of home page.
  11. danik_z

danik_z New Member

The problem caused in the Droid X not sending long text messages (160+ characters) is due to an app that was install and messes with the phones internal settings. In my case it was the RedBox app. I installed it this morning and afterward couldn't send long text, they wouldn't go out. But right after I uninstalled it, the texting started to work like normal and I was able to send more than 160 character texts.... Hope this helps!