• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem using Unrevoked v3.22 to Root New Droid Incredible

djkeller3

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2010
Lexington, KY
Just bought and received an Incredible and am trying to root. Now, I understand that the latest update to the Incredible patched Unrevoked 3.21 and made it unusable to use for rooting. Then, the Unrevoked team came out with 3.22, but apparently, it is not compatible with SLCD versions of the Incredible, which I apparently have because in following the instructions, Unrevoked won't do squat with my device. I don't have the option to enable debugging (just the options to charge only, share my computer's network, etc...). I can only assume it's because I have the SLCD version of the Incredible.

Thoughts:
1. I am using a Mac and downloaded and installed the Mac version of Unrevoked.

2. Is there another way to root besides using Unrevoked, or some other *workaround* I can do to get the job done?

3. If there is no other method for rooting, does anyone know the timeframe where we could expect to see a version of Unrevoked that is compatible with SLCD Incredibles?

Unrevoked is compatible with SLCD's, it's just that Clockwork is not. So you should be able to root your phone (Mac is typically the most issue free actually). You need to load the modified CWM recovery during the rooting process so you don't end up with a black screen with white bars running down the side when you enter recovery. That's the issue with Clockwork and SLCD's.

You should most certainly have an option for USB debugging though. That may be all you need to get past here. Usually swiping down the notification bar when connected via USB will allow the choice. Otherwise, it's can also be modified by checking the box at Menu > Development > USB Debugging. You don't have that?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm just trying to root my Dinc and having no luck. OS X 10.6.7 using latest unrevoked 3. It doesn't see my phone. Tried LOTS of recommendations for turning different things on/off, 4 different cables (all which work for other data uses) - no joy. Any further suggestions appreciated.

Try a different sd card and different computer.

Upvote 0
I've resolved my problem and successfully rooted with Unrevoked3.

I rebooted my MacBook in "Safe Mode" (by holding down the shift key on boot), and then was able to run Unrevoked with absolutely no issues. Worked perfectly, as advertised.

Even though I had none of the extensions or apps installed that other threads have suggested disabling, obviously, something was conflicting. Safe mode disabled whatever it was. So if you are having a problem running Unrevoked3 on a Mac, try my method.

Upvote 0
I've already tried it with NO SD card, so just swapping to a different one isn't going to work. And I'm on a fresh install of 10.6.7. No reason the MacBook should be the issue.

you NEED an sd card for it to run, and changing sd cards has solved the problem for many people before. And changing computers has also worked for people for the same reasons starting your computer in safe mode worked, some times there are things conflicting that can't be pinpointed, hence changing sd cards and computers will get it working. I wasn't just blowing smoke.

But anyway glad you got it worked out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones