Problem Viewing Market Apps Orange UK

1. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Hi,am new to this forum as have recently received Hero (Orange UK) as upgrade.
    Followed the incredibly helpful Tips & Tricks thread to get phone set up at it's best.
    Have been very impressed with phone, but have come across problem that's puzzling me. Have been trying to download FingerPlay MIDI from the market, but can't navigate to download page on phone. Have downloaded various other apps from market successfully. Contacted developer who has been very helpful & he's done all possible at his end to make app visible. Have read some threads regarding visibility of certain apps in market & problem with Orange network. Does anyone know if this is still an issue? Could any other Orange UK customers take a minute to see if they can see FingerPlay MIDI in market?
    As long term MIDI music user this is an app I'd love to try. Any help would be most appreciated. 4D

Advertisement
    :
  2. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

Orange UK too and I can't find it either
  3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Ditto. I bet it's another app that's only available for users of 1.6 and above. :mad:
  4. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Thank you guys for checking, hope I can return favour. Thought I was going mad! Developer says it should work on Hero. Have left question on his site to check if it runs on 1.5. Not sure if firmware version for Orange has any differences that could cause this problem. Will update f I get any feedback. Thanks again:)
  5. Slug

It's not the firmware itself, it's the updated 1.6 Market that causes the problem I believe. I've got two apps myself that I purchased months ago but I can't obtain the latest updates 'cos the Market won't show them to me.
  6. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Ah I see, thanks Slug. Have been on steep learning curve with this phone over past few days (girlfriend got very little conversation over weekend!), but I hadn't appreciated that there was a difference in versions of the market itself. Have read threads dated last September regarding a particular problem with the Orange network & certain copy protected apps & wasn't sure if that had any relevance?
    Always been in love with tech & am loving the phone!
  7. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Ive three apps waiting but like others they are 1.6+ its becoming a real pain.
    Although I'm beginning to think its not HTC that are causing the problems but Google
    dictating the market to suit themselves.

If that is the case then google run the risk of shooting themselves in the foot.
    I'm already beginning to see publications both magazine and web based getting a little fed up of telling their readers of android updates to various makes of phones that are just not happening.
    And as things go the android market is in danger of becoming fragmented loosing developers and phone providers.
  8. Slug

Ahh, that was when the Hero had just been released on Orange. The problem iirc was that their device id/serials weren't recognised as valid by the Market. Or something like that. Whatever the reason, it was sorted out as soon as Google updated their databases.
  9. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Although I did a fair amount of research, I hadn't picked up on just how major the different versions of android are, or how much google seem to regionalise it's release until i had placed order for phone! I do hope that they don't strangle what promises to be a vibrant platform.
  10. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Slug, thank you for that. It has cleared up that thread for me. I take it that waiting for android version update is the only resolution to these problems?
  11. Slug

Yes, unless you futz around with one of the beta 2.0/2.1 work-in-progress ROMs. Or the developer provides an alternative delivery method.
  12. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Don't fancy trying new rom yet,but thank you for advice. Will try contacting developer to see if he has any alternative delivery options. Does phone need to be rooted to try alternatives? Sorry if basic question, have only had phone 3 days.
  13. Slug

No, just ensure Unknown source is checked under Application settings. Then, if you can get the .APK directly from the dev you can either use HTC Sync to install it or copy the file to your SD card and use a file manager to "run" it via the Package Installer app on the handset.
  14. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Great, thanks for your clear help Slug. Will contact dev to see if he can supply .APK.
  15. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

This is such an annoyance with Android - I fail to see why the updated market is not available on 1.5 - it surely is just a glorified browser? Even if we learn to live without future operating system bells and whistles, the market along with new apps and updates to existing ones should be available to all. Maybe the developers should collectively protest to Google about this ridiculous state of affairs?
  16. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

If anyone else is interested in trying this MIDI application, the developer has posted a link on his site to download a version suitable for android 1.5. Have tried it on own MIDI system & it really is a lot of fun. Thanks again to Slug for pointing me in right direction.
  17. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

Not visible here either - Orange user, HTC Hero with updated official ROM, tried over wifi and mobile network...

Ben
  18. AndyFord

AndyFord Member

Thanks for that Ben. Last post was update to earlier posts on thread. Apparently the 1.5 version of android cannot access some applications on the 1.6 version of market. Developer of the FingerPlay MIDI application I was trying to get hold of has posted a 1.5 version of the software on his site. It seems that many apps not visible on market until we get official update to android.