problem while trying to install amon_ra

Last Updated:

1. kobyjd

kobyjd Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, so im trying to install the amon_ra recovery to eventually flash my radio, ive rooted my phone, gotten every thing done right so far, and now im trying to open terminal and enter two commands

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img

but when i try the first it says permission denied.

any help?

Advertisement
  2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can try installing ROM Manager on your Sprint HTC Hero and flashing an alternate recovery image and selecting Amon Ra there. When you say you "open terminal" do you mean that you have installed the Terminal Emulator app are running the commands through that?

That should work just fine if you are rooted. The two methods here are the easiest that I know of to flash a recovery image.

3. kobyjd

Yes i am running terminal emulator.

However, after i successfully rooted the phone, my downloads were not working so i had to do a factory reset so the downloads would work again. But it was my understanding that it shouldnt have affected the root.

4. LBPHeretic

Do you still have the Superuser icon in your app drawer? If it is gone you may be unrooted.

I am not 100% sure if that matters, but it could. Check that out first before we proceed with troubleshooting your problem because it sounds like you are no longer rooted.

5. kobyjd

yes i have it

6. kobyjd

ill try what you said with rom manager

7. LBPHeretic

Hmm, that is really weird then. Try the ROM Manager method I mentioned above then. You could probably just use the ClockworkMod recovery image if you wanted to.

The Amon Ra and ClockworkMod recovery image both accomplish the same thing more or less. Let me know if you run into more problems.

kobyjd likes this.
  8. kobyjd

I get an error message that says an error occured while attempting to run privileged commands...maybe i should just restore it all back to 1.5 settings, re root it and start over again....

9. LBPHeretic

Okay, what you should do is reinstall the Android 2.1 RUU (version .5) and then re-root your Sprint HTC Hero. I would use the Universal One-Click method of rooting as it is the easiest to do.

When you have rooted your Sprint HTC Hero, install ROM Manager and flash the ClockworkMod recovery image on it. Then you can reboot your handset and do a Nandroid backup. That way if something is screwed up, you can go back to a fresh start. If you do eventually flash your handset with the Amon Ra recovery image, please remember that Nandroid backups between different recovery images are not compatible.

kobyjd likes this.
  10. kobyjd

Trying to reinstall the 2.1 ruu update, but its been stuck at 45% for like 10 15 minutes....

11. LBPHeretic

Is it still stuck at that percentage of completion now? Sorry, I was having dinner.

I am not sure what would cause that to happen. If it just stays frozen you may have to pull the battery and start over again.

kobyjd likes this.
  12. kobyjd

Yea now it wont even start at all. Turn it on, nothing happens. Plug the usb cord in the HTC logo comes up, unplug the cord you get the error message with green writing at the top and then RUU highlighted in orange underneath and a big error traingle on the bottom.....

13. LBPHeretic

So, you cannot even attempt to reinstall the Android 2.1 RUU in Windows now? I would think you could retry the installation.

The Android 2.1 RUU should just wipe your Sprint HTC Hero and copy the valid Android 2.1 image to it. Are there any errors coming up if you attempt to reinstall it again?

kobyjd likes this.
  14. kobyjd

I will try plugging it in and running the 2.1 ruu, but im not sure if it will recognize it. Ill let you know in a min

15. LBPHeretic

16. kobyjd

Ah it wasnt working but it finally decided to recognize it. So hopefully this time around it will work

17. kobyjd

AH halleluyah!! it worked =D Thank you for all the patience and help youve given me so far! Now to try it all over again lol.

18. LBPHeretic

Congratulations, man. I will be here if you need more assistance. ;)

I hope that you can get it all setup and re-rooted quickly. Good luck. :D

kobyjd likes this.
  19. kobyjd

Well now it doesnt seem to want to download anything from the marketplace, which was the first problem i encountered when i first did that factory reset...so i cant do universal app cuz i cant download astro to open it

20. LBPHeretic

Have you tried rebooting your Sprint HTC Hero? Are you certain that your mobile data connection is working?

I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the Android Market after rooting but I suppose it is possible. I will see if I can think of something and get back to you.

kobyjd likes this.
  21. kobyjd

No i havnt rooted it yet. I am trying to download astro so i can open the universal root so i can root it

22. LBPHeretic

Okay, let me ask you this. Have you signed into your Google account on your Sprint HTC Hero?

I do not think you would have access to download apps if you are not signed into your Google account. Let me know if you have signed into it or not.

kobyjd likes this.
  23. kobyjd

yes i have. It says starting download.... and has been like that for a while. I just successfully rooted it using the previous method i had before, so ill see if it will let me download now.

24. LBPHeretic

Another thing you can try is to go into Settings, then Manage Applications, and delete the data and cache for the Android Market app. If that does not work, I am not sure what else to try.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on this issue? I have not experienced it before.

kobyjd likes this.
  25. kobyjd

Yea just finished rooting it, and i cant download anything. It just says "Starting Download...."