Support Problem: Wifi, 3G and Internet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yoshiofthewire, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Yoshiofthewire

Yoshiofthewire Active Member

Feb 23, 2010
    When I turn on Wifi it works, when when I switch back to 3G for data it never switches over. I have waited over an hour and the only fix is to had reset the phone.

I always manually turn wifi off and on, and it is a WPS2-AES protected AP.

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye
    VIP Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    What is "it"; what is it that works when you turn wifi on, what is it that never switches over to what; when you switch back to 3g, does that mean you turn off wifi; and do you just reset the phone, or have you tried tuning airplane mode on/off to see if it resets? Sorry your post is a little confusing.

3. Yoshiofthewire

Feb 23, 2010
    The internet works when I turn the phone on and wifi is off.
    The internet works when I turn wifi on and connect to an AP
    The internet doesn't work when I turn wifi off.
    The only fix is to reboot the phone

4. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Naples, FL
    I'd suggest doing a factory reset and see if that doesn't fix it!

5. james27007

VIP Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Riverside, CA
    That is a problem, the phone should automatically switch back. Maybe you should see about exchanging the phone at AT&T. Mine works perfectly.

Also try, after you disconnect from wifi, enable airplane mode and disable it. That should reset your Data connection. Not a good fix but better than resetting the phone

6. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Naples, FL
    I only suggested resetting the phone as a last resort before returning it. If you do return it, the phone will be reset anyway! :)

7. Yoshiofthewire

Feb 23, 2010
    airplane mode doesn't fix it
    I might have to reset the phone

8. james27007

VIP Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Riverside, CA
    One more thing to try, and this is always a last resort, but not to bad becasue of moto blur and better then taking the phone in for replacement. Do a hard reset. Menu --> Settings 00> SD card & Storage --> Factory data reset.

The nice thing is moto blur will resetor all of your settings and contacts; you will just have to reinstall your apps. I had some trouble with the phone resetting on me and that fixed it.

9. Yoshiofthewire

Feb 23, 2010
    I just reset my phone. Let's see what happens

10. straberiwine

straberiwine Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I'm having the same problem, but with Edge instead of 3G. I posted a similar topic here as well.

Can somebody verify that the browser is indeed supposed to work without WiFi turned on? Even after doing a factory reset mine still won't work unless I have WiFi turned on.

11. straberiwine

straberiwine Member

Mar 16, 2010
    After doing everything I could think of (turning on/off phone, turning on/off airplane mode, factory reset) I finally gave up and called AT&T. Come to find out I had a block on my phone that I wasn't aware of. It was something to do with MediaNet, which I never use, so I'm not sure if this was a default thing or something that happened a long time ago and I just don't remember.

12. Yoshiofthewire

Feb 23, 2010
    The factory reset seems to have fixed things.
    (That or I didn't reinstall something that killed the phone)

I will keep you posted.

13. straberiwine

straberiwine Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Yoshi - try calling AT&T and see if you have a content block on your line. That's what was preventing it from working on mine. I don't know how the block got there b/c I haven't used a phone with MediaNet in years, yet it had a block. After clearing that block it seems all of my apps are working correctly now...it seems it was affecting my contact list sync as well.

14. andycted

andycted New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    same exact issue here on my htc desire, italian 3 network. However after a couple of times of being able to restore connection with airplane mode, nothing worked anymore. Then after half an our it worked again, then after about 2 hours it died again and for about 3-4 hours I haven't been able to restore 3G connection (tried everything). I also tried to take the sim card to my old phone (htc touch hd, never had that issue) and found out that 3G connection didn't work there too ! Coincidence and network issue or caused by something I did ?
    I emailed them about it, let's see...

[edit] data connection came back up right now on both phones.