• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem: Wifi, 3G and Internet

Feb 23, 2010
When I turn on Wifi it works, when when I switch back to 3G for data it never switches over. I have waited over an hour and the only fix is to had reset the phone.

I always manually turn wifi off and on, and it is a WPS2-AES protected AP.

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

When I turn on Wifi it works, when when I switch back to 3G for data it never switches over. I have waited over an hour and the only fix is to had reset the phone.

I always manually turn wifi off and on, and it is a WPS2-AES protected AP.

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

What is "it"; what is it that works when you turn wifi on, what is it that never switches over to what; when you switch back to 3g, does that mean you turn off wifi; and do you just reset the phone, or have you tried tuning airplane mode on/off to see if it resets? Sorry your post is a little confusing.

Upvote 0
The internet works when I turn the phone on and wifi is off.
The internet works when I turn wifi on and connect to an AP
The internet doesn't work when I turn wifi off.
The only fix is to reboot the phone

That is a problem, the phone should automatically switch back. Maybe you should see about exchanging the phone at AT&T. Mine works perfectly.

Also try, after you disconnect from wifi, enable airplane mode and disable it. That should reset your Data connection. Not a good fix but better than resetting the phone

Upvote 0
One more thing to try, and this is always a last resort, but not to bad becasue of moto blur and better then taking the phone in for replacement. Do a hard reset. Menu --> Settings 00> SD card & Storage --> Factory data reset.

The nice thing is moto blur will resetor all of your settings and contacts; you will just have to reinstall your apps. I had some trouble with the phone resetting on me and that fixed it.

Upvote 0
After doing everything I could think of (turning on/off phone, turning on/off airplane mode, factory reset) I finally gave up and called AT&T. Come to find out I had a block on my phone that I wasn't aware of. It was something to do with MediaNet, which I never use, so I'm not sure if this was a default thing or something that happened a long time ago and I just don't remember.

Upvote 0
Yoshi - try calling AT&T and see if you have a content block on your line. That's what was preventing it from working on mine. I don't know how the block got there b/c I haven't used a phone with MediaNet in years, yet it had a block. After clearing that block it seems all of my apps are working correctly now...it seems it was affecting my contact list sync as well.

Upvote 0
same exact issue here on my htc desire, italian 3 network. However after a couple of times of being able to restore connection with airplane mode, nothing worked anymore. Then after half an our it worked again, then after about 2 hours it died again and for about 3-4 hours I haven't been able to restore 3G connection (tried everything). I also tried to take the sim card to my old phone (htc touch hd, never had that issue) and found out that 3G connection didn't work there too ! Coincidence and network issue or caused by something I did ?
I emailed them about it, let's see...

[edit] data connection came back up right now on both phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones