1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Android Market Google Account

Last Updated:

1. TmR

TmR New Member This Topic's Starter

Running standard 2.1 on a Droid X.

I was trying to buy the paid app Better Keyboard. It then sent me to a screen telling me to add a google account. I already linked a Google Account to the phone when I first set the phone up, so I just tried typing that into the 'sign in' option, and it looks like it's doing something for a good 3 minutes, saying "Your phone needs to communicate with Google servers to set up your account. This may take up to five minutes." Now, I would be fine with it taking 5 minutes, except it brings up a page saying "Cannot establish a reliable data connection to the server: This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisions for data services (it is, because you're required to have a data plan to activate a smartphone on Verizon)." I have a 3G signal and I'm connected to a wi-fi network as well, although I've tried it not connected to wi-fi, and still no dice.

Has anyone had this problem or anyone have suggestions.

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

1. Do you access the Market wothout problems and can install apps that are free?
    2. Do you have a google checkout account asociated to the primary Google Account you use on your phone?
    3. If you still have problems with the error there is a fix for it, but requires root:
    Delete the folder
    /data/data/com.android.providers.settings and restart (before and after)

3. TmR

Yes, I can install apps that are free, and yes my account is linked to a google checkout account. I guess I'll just have to root my phone then. Thanks.

4. TmR

Well, I'm using a mac, and apparently the only way to root is to run an instance of windows, which I don't have, so whatever.

5. FletchF

FletchF Member

Is your primary account an apps account or a regular account? If regular, is it an @gmail.com address, or some other domain? At one time there were problems using a regular account with a non-@gmail.com address for market purchases. This is all very confusing and rapidly changing now that the apps/account merger has begun...