• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problem with carrier/iemi question

I have T-mobile. They sent me a defective device. They talked me into trying various troubleshooting problems and contacting Samsung, but the best Samsung could do was try to fix it while I would be without a phone so I eventually decided to go with a refurbished. The problems included things like it sending out blank text messages to people in my phone book at 3am, the s-pen didn't work properly, various other software problems...etc. The list goes on and on. I sent it back and they claim there is physical damage to the phone that is not covered under the warranty. I asked them to send it back to me and then I will file a claim with Samsung, but they do not even have it anymore because they say it has been sent back to Samsung. I am furious because THEY sent me a defective phone then want me to pay for it then wont produce any proof that it actually has the damage they claim it does. They couldn't even tell me what the alleged damage was. I do not actually have a contract with them but I do still owe some on the phone itself. I paid half of it several months ago and have been paying payments along with my bill ever since. I cannot tell you how many people I have spoken to and I refuse to pay for something that was obviously an oversight on their part. My question is, if I take my phone, root it, change it to straight talk, I still plan on paying for the phone itself but in the meantime, can they make my IEMI invalid in the meantime?

I'm sorry to hear this logicalotus. The short answer is they can blacklist the imei on the phone, but they'd need a reason to do it, like not paying your bill. If you plan on finishing out the contract, then they shouldn't blacklist your device. However, the phone is probably sim-locked to T-mobile so you'll need the unlocking code from them to use it with Straight Talk. They don't usually give those to you until the contract is satisfied.

As to the situation in general, I know it's frustrating, but you'll have to keep at them. I had a similar situation with Toshiba and a new laptop a few years back. I even blogged about it to blow off some steam. It doesn't sound kosher that they'd take a warranty claim that they say is physical damage and return it to Samsung without notifying you. Usually the way these things work is once they make an evaluation that it is not covered, they let you know in case you have 3rd party insurance or want to pay out-of-pocket. Since you bought the phone outright (with payments up to date) I wouldn't think it was their place to send it back.

Upvote 0
thank you for your response. It has been one thing after another with them. I had them once in the past and was happy with them years ago before smart phones. It just seems like they are trying to get extra money out of me. Either that, or it was damaged from UPS when I sent it back and I can't see how I could prove it either way. All I know is there was nothing physically wrong at the time. I plan to try to go ahead and change it, cancle my plan and switch. There's got to be a way to do it. I don't mind finishing my payments for the phone, but I am not paying that wrongful charge.

Upvote 0
I no longer have the phone. Haven't had it for months. The only way I found out it was "damaged" was when they put a charge on my bill. I asked where the phone is now and T-Mobile said that Samsung now has it. I didn't send it to them. It just seems like they didin't want any proof around so they can just place this erroneous charge on my bill and expect me to pay it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones