• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Problem with Download Manager 2.3.6

Since very long time I've been experiencing the problem with Download Manager (Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360, Gingerbread). After 1-2 months of using the DM starts to automatically launch every day and download empty data (empty as no files are actually downloaded). One download session takes about 8MB, but in the past even more than 20 MB of downloaded data happened. So far, the only solution was the factory reset, which caused Phone Book to be restored and applications to get reinstalled. Then, for 1-2 months everything goes OK and suddenly some day the Download Manager gets reborn and the whole situation repeats. So I do the factory reset, etc. I was trying to clear data in Application Manager, both on DM and the Google Play Shop but no expected results came. Please note that in the Google Play Shop settings the automatic update is off.

I use My Data Manager to monitor internet activity. Here is an example of readings:

Download Manager 8 MB
OS Services 477 kB
Opera Mini 386 kB
GMail 289 kB
Google Play Shop 97 kB
Google Play Services 85 kB
My Data Manager 27 kB
System Android 6 kB

I realize that my Samsung is outdated but is sufficient for me (mail check, news, timetables). Should I need something more advanced I use a tablet, which does not generate artificial data traffic, maybe because of 4.1.2 instead of 2.3.6.

I would appreciate your help very much,

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones