Problem with Eris and otterbox case.Accessories

Last Updated:

1. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 16, 2010
    I bought an Otterbox impact case for my Eris last week. I have bought other Otterbox products before and they are top quality.
    However, after installing the case my battery drained in 3-4 hours. It seemed like the phone was searching for a signal. After removing the case, everything returned to normal.
    Also, the proximity sensor didn't work even though the hole for it was positioned correctly.
    I noticed that if you use a flashlight you can see a small reddish dot below and to the right of the proximity sensor. This dot is covered by the new Otterbox case.
    Is that an antenna or some other sensor ?
    I emailed Otterbox and they said they haven't heard of this issue before and offered to send a call tag and have it returned and credit me towards the other Eris case(commuter) which doesn't cover that area.
    Anyone have any experience with this problem ?
    Anyone know what that reddish dot is ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    this was brought up in another thread. the impact case seems to be causing the proximity sensor to not work properly. if they haven't heard of the issue yet, they soon will. not sure what the red dot is or how it interacts with the proximity sensor. i think i remember another thread suggesting it's the light sensor maybe.