1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Problem with Gmail app

1. allanNZ

allanNZ Member

Gmail app is running on Android 2.2 on my phone.

When I select the 'Inbox' label, it always says "No conversations.", even if there are emails in my inbox. I have to select the 'All Mail' label to read them.

What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement
    :
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Do you have your mail going to your priority inbox and not your inbox? I really am not sure how that works as I try to keep my inbox cleaned up and never set up the priority inbox that gmail started recently.

The more basic things to check:
    1. In settings do you have background data and sync enabled?
    2. In your Gmail app settings do you have the proper folders and time range set to sync?
  3. allanNZ

allanNZ Member

The priority inbox also comes up "No conversations".

When I list the labels, there is a '4' beside inbox, presumably meaning that there are 4 unread messages, but when I select inbox i get: "No conversations".

When I select "All Mail" it lists my messages, and 4 of them are labelled "inbox". So why don't they appear in my inbox??!

Inbox sync is set to last 4 days. These are emails received today.

Very frustrating.

Gmail version 2.3.5.2
  4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Try to go to settings-> applications-> manage applications-> gmail, then clear data. Then open the gmail app and try setting up everything again and see if that helps.

Also after you set up the app, log into gmail on a computer and make sure you have no unread messages, sometimes that can cause a problem initially with the app syncing properly for some reason.
  5. allanNZ

allanNZ Member

I 'cleared data' for Gmail, but it did not seem to delete my account details - I did not have to re-enter my email or password again.

I sent a test email, and Inbox and Priority inbox both have a '1' (ie one message) but both show 'no conversations'.

But the email does show up in 'All mail'.

So, still not working for me.
  6. NoMoreSymbian

NoMoreSymbian Well-Known Member

Not sure what phone you have but press the menu button then refresh, does it then put your mail in the inbox?
  7. allanNZ

allanNZ Member

Weird, today it suddenly started working. Maybe to do with the 4 day sync? (Been about 4 days since I set it up).

Anyway, thanks for you answers.
  8. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

There was a brief issue a few days back with some Gmail accounts where mail went straight to the All Mail folder and bypassed the inbox; this affected one of my auxiliary accounts and I had an email from Google about it. It showed the same behaviour on my phone as you were experiencing.
    Sounds like your account was also affected and is now fixed.
  9. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

Don't have an answer because I have the exact same problem. I've done everything suggested but still no joy! Like you, I get something like "Inbox (2)" but "No Conversations" -- yet the mail is definitely there under "ALL Mail". I suppose at least THAT works but it's a bit of a hassle. Hope someone comes up with a solution. I've changed settings in both my phone and (when using the browser) changed mail settings.