Problem with Google contacts using custom RingtonesSupport

Last Updated:

1. Mr Mufakka

Mr Mufakka Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all. Android n00b here.

Got the new Galaxy (specifically the vibrant) and I love it. One thing I can't figure out though. How do you set a custom (mp3) ringtone to a specific contact? I've done a good bit of searching on this and it seems to work as long as the contact is stored on the phone however the option is NOT there when it's a contact sync'd from Google.

More specifically...

Contact stored on phone: Menu > Edit > scroll down and there is a Ringtone option.

Contact sync'd from Google: Menu > Edit > scroll down but NO Ringtone option.

Any thoughts? Appears a software dealio? I realize there's 3rd party apps out there but 2.1 does this on other phones, right?

Also, speaking of contacts. I stumbled across a bit of a glitch last night. I was updating some contacts on my desktop including birthdays. Well, apparently if you enter the month and date and NOT the year, the contact will not work on the phone and you'll get the following (serious) error.

The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. dumpstate_app_201007170144_android_process_acore.log as been saved. Use *#9900# to copy out log.

It took quite a while of testing different combinations last night until I figured out that it was the empty year field that was causing this. Thankfully and easy fix but interesting as well.

Advertisement
  2. saj_2001ind

saj_2001ind Well-Known Member

On the google sync contact now allowing custom ringtone, this I experienced too...this is kinda wierd, I heard from nexus one guys, this is not the problem with them ...

anyone have any solution to this pls post - thanks

3. Mr Mufakka

+1 on it not being a problem from Nexus owners however the guy I talked to with one had updated his to 2.2.

4. BobGillmer

BobGillmer New Member

I am assuming you meant "not allowing" as opposed to "now".

I only have about a dozen contacts that I want custom ringtones for, so I am just going to enter new "phone" contacts for them, which allows for the customizing of ringtones, and delete the Goggle ones

Mr Mufakka likes this.
  5. Mr Mufakka

Not a fix for the problem but a pretty good and easy way around. I too have a limited amount of people I want custom rings for so it's not a big hassle. Good idea!

It would be nice if Google fixes this in the future though.

6. TikiDroid

TikiDroid Member

I got the ATT Captivate today and ran into this.

You all have the right idea.

Here is what I did:
    Create a new phone contact with my selected ringtone - no phone #, just a name matching my Google contact. Use the link option (settings menu of the contact) to link the google contact to the local phone contact. When the I receive a call the chosen ringtone plays.

If the phone contact and the google contact name does not match the name of the phone contact is displayed when you receive a call.

an_dre_as likes this.
  7. dissident75

dissident75 Well-Known Member

I have a better and easier answer. Download Ringo Lite from the market. It will allow you to assign ringtones to the gmail synced contacts. Dirt simple, free and it just works.

aknutson72 and Jaypeebee like this.
  8. Jaypeebee

Jaypeebee Active Member

Just realised, if you use RingDroid the ringtones can be assigned to a Google contact.

jrau13 likes this.
  9. schuc69

schuc69 New Member

I just got my Vibrant a few days ago and ran into this problem today myself.

Using Ringtones did set the ringtone, but when I receive a call from that person the general incoming call ringtone plays...and NOT the custom one assigned to the contact. Does anyone else have this same issue?

Currently, this is still a problem for me. I am going to try the other suggestions mentioned above and see if that helps...

10. schuc69

schuc69 New Member

Just FYI that I followed the create a local phone contact(name and ringtone only), linked that, and it worked fine. Kind of a drag and I'd rather not have to do these steps, but at least it's working!

Thanks for the help all. :)

11. jrau13

jrau13 New Member

Just came across this and Ringdroid works perfectly!

12. midone

midone New Member

I finally found a way to get contacts into groups and to get individual ringtones. Its a little annoying but it actually works. It wont sync them from google but you can create groups from the vibrant after this process.

1) On home screen tap contacts
    2) While in the phonebook tap menu, then more, and click on import/export
    3) Then select export to sd card ( it will then ask you to confirm your selection, select yes. This can take some time based on how many contacts are on the device).
    4) Once export is completed, access the phonebook again and tap menu, then more. Go back to import/export
    5) Then select import from sd card, a screen will then pop up and give you the option as to where you want to save the contacts.
    6) Options: Gmail or phone or if you have a corporate email this will also be an option. Make sure you import them to the phone in order to assign a ringtone to the contact.
    7) The device will then start reading from the vcard on the device. (This will also take some time based on how many contacts are on the device). Note: Now each contact will then have the little g for Google and phone icon
    next to the contact in your phonebook instead of having to create seperate contacts.

You can now select a ringtone to an individual contact two ways:
    1) From the music player long press the ringtone you want to assign and select "set as", then select where you want the ringtone assigned. You will have 3 choices: Voice call ringtone, Individual ringtone, and Alarm tone.
    2) On home screen tap contacts (do this after you imported the contacts from the sd card), then long press the contact you want to have the ringtone assigned, then select edit, then scroll down and select the desired ringtone and select save. Note: With contacts that are saved to the phone, this will also allow you to assign individual caller id photos."

When you select a contact at the top of the screen you will be able to choose from the Google version or the version saved to the phone. Select the version saved to the phone and you have all the options you are supposed to have individual ringtones, adding contact to groups.
    Hope this helps, if it does tell others I know it has been a big problem.

Jaypeebee likes this.